Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Hauling System Help  (Read 5472 times)

Re: New Hauling System Help
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 01:45:59 am »

I've been playing for almost a year and didn't know this.

SUDDENLY. MY MANAGEMENT WINDOW IS FULL OF "CONSTRUCT STONE BLOCK x30"

Well, 1 rock used to only become 1 rock block, but v0.34.08 changed that to 4 rock blocks due to the reduced mining yields in that version (25% stone drop rates now, instead of being dependent on the miner's skill level).

I should note that wood, glass, and metal blocks are still at a 1:1 ratio, not the 4:1 ratio that blocks from stone gets you.

All good. :D

I manage dwarves; we don't build with anything but stone (except windows, but those can't be made out of blocks AFAIK).

Diz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 03:49:24 am »

....Suddenly I wonder whether Gem Windows will accept cut stone...

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:18:30 am »

In reply to the wheelbarrow thing

I have yet to hear of or know of a way to get them to haul more than one item in them. As such they become largely useless unless hauling heavy things. In regards to the crafts from blocks question. As stated above they currently dont make crafts from blocks however that could be added in by either toady or a modder as a custom reaction. With out such most of us have assumed the death of the stone crafts industry. But this is ok as it is easily replaced by the cloth industry which i find is much more lucrative.

Cheers

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 08:02:52 am »

Yes, but wood is only a fraction of the density of stone. Logs are big (1 tree=1 log).

Short of it is, they can't.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Keisari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:32 am »

A wooden ring seems to also fill up the wheelbarrow. If I enable it on my finished goods stockpile the dwarves just haul one ring at a time into it with their wheelbarrows. Hauling a lot of small things is what's needing the wheelbarrows the most is what I think.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:38 am »

I suggest only using wheelbarrows for stone stockpiles.  They greatly speed up the hauling of stones to the stockpile.  Put the stockpiles very close to whatever workshops are going to be pulling stones from them (smelters, masons, etc.) because the dwarves have to move the stone from the stockpile to the workshop by hand.  This means redesigning work areas, a process on which I'm still working.

Multi-hauling of small items isn't done with wheelbarrows.  It's done with whatever container the small items normally go into.  In the case of wooden rings, it would be bins.  Once you've got some bins in the stockpile, the dwarves will (usually? sometimes?) take a bin out of the stockpile (still full of items!), carry it to where the next item is, put the item into the bin, and then carry the bin back to the stockpile.

In the tradition of dwarven self-centered thought, the dwarf who is hauling half the finished goods stockpile on his back to go grab one more yak hoof amulet doesn't care that other dwarves wanted to grab a pair of trousers from that bin.  The pantsless guy will just have wait until the bin comes back.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:04 am »

In the tradition of dwarven self-centered thought, the dwarf who is hauling half the finished goods stockpile on his back to go grab one more yak hoof amulet doesn't care that other dwarves wanted to grab a pair of trousers from that bin.  The pantsless guy will just have wait until the bin comes back.

Ya this gets so annoying when my farmer dwarf grabs the seed bag to get one more seed resulting in a ridiculous number of planting job cancellations 

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 04:24:48 pm »

Multi-hauling of small items isn't done with wheelbarrows.  It's done with whatever container the small items normally go into.  In the case of wooden rings, it would be bins.  Once you've got some bins in the stockpile, the dwarves will (usually? sometimes?) take a bin out of the stockpile (still full of items!), carry it to where the next item is, put the item into the bin, and then carry the bin back to the stockpile.

This is starting to drive me nuts actually.  I have dwarves picking up bins *full* of items and waddling along at incredibly low speeds to pick up yet another item to stuff in the bin instead of carrying the item back to the bin the old way.

I've begun super-subdividing my bin types, and created a 'mall' for my dwarves to pick up their clothes from that picks up its items *only* from an intermediate stop that picks up its items directly from the creators.  This way the bins never leave for long or go very far.

The shopping district is further segregated by quality, so that high quality items are in the back, and low quality items in the front, with rows in between.  Lowest quality items are stockpiled only near the depot so they can be traded off instead of taking up space.

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

Agreed, in a way it got a bit messy with dwarves taking bins and bags to the item theyre intending to pick up, but on the other hand its managable with the new (g)ive and (t)ake options in stockpiles.

The way to solve such problems, for instance the 'no more seeds cos someone is getting one seed with a full bag' problem is to have a seed stockpile near your farms, and another stockpile(i just leave seeds enabled in my main food stockpile)
now set the seed stockpile to take from the food stockpile, and ALSO set it to 'only accept items from links'
that works half the time as dwarves tend to use a new bag when getting the seeds to the food stockpile, and then carrying that bag to the seed stockpile

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:24 pm »

I'd like to ask my question too, if it isn't too much of a problem. How do I get my dwarves to haul more than one unit in their wheelbarrows? They only ever put one item in the wheelbarrow, making them kinda pointless. Minecart routes don't seem applicable or practical with wheelbarrows, so I'm clueless how to get these lazy dudes to put more than 1 log in their wheelbarrow. (They can't be too heavy, 1 wood is only a fraction of 1 stone's weight.)

You can't.  Wheelbarrows on a wood stockpile actually slows things down since it limits the number of dwarves hauling.
Pages: 1 [2]