Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: possible clothing bug?  (Read 4570 times)

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
possible clothing bug?
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:32:37 pm »

I am having problems with my military dwarves when issuing orders for their equipment to replace clothing. It seems that even though they are covered by the armour, they still get embarrassed at being uncovered due to lack of clothing. Am I missing something or is this another clothing bug?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: possible clothing bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

You didnt know? Armor is just glass that is imbued with the strength of said metal.

Its a glitch.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:54 pm »

No, I did not know and haven't found mention of it yet. I suppose there is no solution other than forcing my military to wear additional clothing with their armour. At least the order forced them to purge themselves of the ever-irritating and ever-persistent broken clothing.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:37:27 pm »

to replace clothing.

So you are forcing your dwarves to succumb to constant, grating, metal-to-... -skin contact?

No, wait, that's your dwarves' fault actually.

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:41 pm »

to replace clothing.

So you are forcing your dwarves to succumb to constant, grating, metal-to-... -skin contact?

No, wait, that's your dwarves' fault actually.

Sure. Until chafing is implemented, I don't see the problem.

In all honesty, the only reason I considered doing it in the first place was because all of my military dwarves were getting hit in the x(pig tail fiber robe)x etc.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:36:46 pm »

I am having problems with my military dwarves when issuing orders for their equipment to replace clothing. It seems that even though they are covered by the armour, they still get embarrassed at being uncovered due to lack of clothing. Am I missing something or is this another clothing bug?

In my forts, I had to do the following.

Include cloth torso and cloth legs in the uniform.
NOT include cloth shoes in the uniform.
Include metal torso and metal legs in the uniform.
Include metal boots in the uniform.
Replace all, exact matches.

and

Make them wear the uniform even when not on active duty.
Then they won't switch stuff out and get the embarrassing thought.
I ran two squads this way for years without any problems.
Any other combination of off-duty un-uniformed, or trying to get them to put armor over top of clothing led to bad things.

Of course, there may be other ways to do it, but that way worked for me.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:01:43 am »

In my forts, I had to do the following.

Include cloth torso and cloth legs in the uniform.
NOT include cloth shoes in the uniform.
Include metal torso and metal legs in the uniform.
Include metal boots in the uniform.
Replace all, exact matches.

and

Make them wear the uniform even when not on active duty.
Then they won't switch stuff out and get the embarrassing thought.
I ran two squads this way for years without any problems.
Any other combination of off-duty un-uniformed, or trying to get them to put armor over top of clothing led to bad things.

Of course, there may be other ways to do it, but that way worked for me.

Hmmm, metal boots was enough to satisfy the footwear requirement?  Even though it has an armor value?  You didn't have socks or anything?  This goes against current understanding.  You might want to confirm this and post the science in it's own thread.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:13 am »

... Hmmm, metal boots was enough to satisfy the footwear requirement?  Even though it has an armor value?  You didn't have socks or anything?  This goes against current understanding.  You might want to confirm this and post the science in it's own thread.

No socks.  Just boots, (adamantine high boots to be precise) and they were happy as clams in sand.  If I tried to make them wear shoes, they got the conflicting equipment report.  The next fort I have a military in, I'll do it again to confirm.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »

Hmmm, metal boots was enough to satisfy the footwear requirement?  Even though it has an armor value?  You didn't have socks or anything?  This goes against current understanding.  You might want to confirm this and post the science in it's own thread.
I have a Dwarf who became unhappy from having no footwear, despite wearing metal high boots. Happy crisis averted when presented with socks. Confuzzling indeed.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »

Happy crisis averted when presented with socks.

This is the essence of DF. I would sig it if I had any more room.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:11 pm »

I've always had armor over clothing rather than replace clothing, and never had a problem even with the "Metal Armor" uniform, though they do get bad thoughts about old and tattered clothing.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »

Hopefully not steering off topic here, but as a returning player; do the unhappy clothing thoughts really cause that much... "unhappiness" or is it easily counteracted with engraved dining rooms and other such mood boosters? I'm just about getting to the point in my current fortress where the clothing is starting to wear out and I have no dorfs with any skill in in the clothing industry.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »

From what I understand any quality of clothing is going to work to prevent the unhappy thoughts of wearing no clothes or tattered rags.  Get a clothing industry going, and watch your dwarves immediately start replacing worn out stuff.

I'm not sure, but I think they get a (minor) happy thought from the replacement as well.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

I have all my military dwarves replace their clothing with armor and include cloaks and trousers in their uniform.  They seem to be perfectly happy and I think the cloaks and trousers go well with a military uniform.
The world is grey, the mountains old,
the forge's fire is ashen cold.
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls,
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

Hopefully not steering off topic here, but as a returning player; do the unhappy clothing thoughts really cause that much... "unhappiness" or is it easily counteracted with engraved dining rooms and other such mood boosters? I'm just about getting to the point in my current fortress where the clothing is starting to wear out and I have no dorfs with any skill in in the clothing industry.

Complaints about worn out clothing are fairly easy to counteract, but not complaints about missing clothing, which is what will inevitably happen if you don't replace those clothes.  Still, the bad thoughts from worn out clothing do put you a bit closer to a tantrum spiral should anything else bad happen.

Which it certainly will, of course.  ;)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.