Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite size of worlds?  (Read 13036 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite size of worlds?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 05:04:31 am »

I like medium regions.  Island maps give a lot of ocean and isolated islands which is no good for dwarf mode.  Large maps take too long to gen and I never need all that space.  I got with about 100 years of history to brew up some interesting history and events.

Interesting comments on the oceans and cavern depth.  My old 31.25 fort, Fortressdeath was just south of the sea, and it was almost 130 z-levels deep.  There was a world I genned in 34.02 that had an island volcano that was nearly 200 levels deep.  But I've been noticing a lot of shallow maps (only about 40 or 50 levels) with custom parameters and located somewhat far from the sea.  Most of the time when they get deep is when I have a lot of cliffs on the surface, and there's 30 or 40 z-levels about the ground.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:28:43 am »

Large worlds with short history, low sites and civs and lots of minerals.  I like to have a wide selection of embarks to choose from, and plenty of metal for when I get there.  Yep, I'm greedy.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 07:48:43 am »

In addition to a fact I think I'd omitted (my chosen worldgen options often take me to the year 1080 (as I don't interrupt them early) or so, for my embark to occur at), I suppose have a small query based upon some of what's been already mentioned...

When I first started this game (prior to 40d, not sure exactly when though without mapping my earliest posts here with the version history) I seemed to get quite a lot of 'canyon' embarks.  ISTR quite a few where there'd be a mountainous 'top' with a river down a deep gorge and a wide (4-5xRiver-width) flood-plane level with the water surface dotted with rocky stacks, obviously the product of river diversion and re-scouring over time, during the worldgen process.

Although these days I seem to be actually hunting for more plane-like embarks, for my long-term projects, whenever I've actually looked for high Z-varying riverside embarks in rocky terrain (which is where I'm sure I've previously found my canyons) I'm getting very little that looks like that.  Even looking for * and *+ed 'height variation' indications in the appropriate embark-site tab.  I've played at times with the "periodically erode" setting, thinking that maybe it should be unset (to retain vertical rock-faces, rather than make them into merely 'steep slopes'), but maybe there's been an underlying change in the terrain modeller that's precluding these setups.

Or perhaps, it's because I'm letting it go for too long.  A 50-100 year history gives canyons, but let it last until 1080 or so and (regardless of erosion settings) it all gets made rather more 'rolling'. in the same locales.  If that's the case, I might spawn a few still-huge worlds but with an enforced short history, in order to play about with similar worlds as I remember from my 'youth'.  But if anyone knows for sure, please feel free to let me know what I'm doing wrong/not right...
Pages: 1 2 [3]