Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering Forgotten Beasts  (Read 4449 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering Forgotten Beasts
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

I've killed a few but I've never been able to figure out how to slaughter them for their delicious dwarf sustaining meat. I imagine an enormous bloated maggot with a venomous sting that reeked like misama may not taste the best but I've learned not to be picky when it comes to feeding these guys. Is there any trick to it?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:12:48 pm by Viking »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

build a butcher shop next to where you killed it. They are heavy and take a long time to move and often by the time you get them moved they have rotted.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »

Forbid the corpse first, and unforbid it after you build the nearby butchery, otherwise they'll probably start moving the corpse before you finish the building.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:31:39 pm »

Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I waited too long but I did forbid the current corpse they were carrying and built a butchery beside it but when I unforbid it, someone picked it up and carried it past the butcher's workshop. What, they don't want bloated maggot fillet?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »

I've been thinking about it and is it maybe that some forgotten beasts can't be butchered? I imagine a beast made of flame would not have a lot of meat while an 8 legged dear might.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:16:00 am »

If it's made from inedible materials it won't be butchered

the problem is that the job to bring it to the stockpile is generated faster than the job to bring it to a butcher. Forbid it, remove refuse stocpile for a short time, tell the butcher shop to butcher something and unpause.

Forbid other butchers, so they don't try to haul it up for the whole distance
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »

I am happy to report I have had some luck with butchering a beast. A six legged and three eyed giant squirrel was butchered for 300 meat :) One of my dwarves is just about to munch on a prepared forgotten beast heart. I'm sure it will taste delicious! Thank you all again!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:45:23 pm »

Forgotten Beast soap.  Show everyone you've got a pair by scrubbing 'em with something that might make 'em rot off.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:54:32 am »

I like to make thongs out of FB leather.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.