Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Owning Food  (Read 1125 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Owning Food
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:08:28 pm »

I am running into a problem in one of my forts. There is a ton of food items in the different stock piles, expecially pieces of meat but also plump helmets and so I thought I was doing fine. Even though my food stores claims I have 300+ plant and no meat my dwarves are starting to starve. I've realized now that the vast majority of those food items are "owned" by different dwarves, who apparently can't share I guess. Is there anyway to rescind food ownership?

Hopefully I can survive as a caravan just pulled in and I've stopped all the brewing going on and have some animals to slaughter and let more dwarves focus on farming although Id on't know if it will be fast enough. Any help would be appreciated.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Owning Food
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »

not all plants are edible raw.  Build a kitchen and cook some stuff.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

Dwarves 'owning' food is a bug.  It can be triggered if you have dwarves assigned to the military who also have the mining, woodcutting, or hunting jobs enabled.  Don't do that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »

Ah of course, not having the military be miners or wood cutters. Why didn't I think of that? :p
Also, now that the kitchen is running they ARE doing better, thanks guys!
So is there any way to remove ownership or should I just dump all those items?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »

I think that DFHack has a plugin to clear the owned flag on items.  I don't know if that's working with the latest release yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »

"cleanowned", one of the more important dfhack fixes in my opinion.  It's been around for quite a while.  You can also use it to manually dump worn items and the various bits of crap that get all over your fortress.  Combined with "clean" and "drybuckets" you can keep your fort floors spotless.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

Since v0.34.06 owned items lying around lose their "owned" status after around 10-20 days.

Just wait a bit and the ownership flag should get cleared.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

Unfortunately the fort I am playing is version 31.25. I am trying to look for the DFhack cleanowned but no luck so far. Its good to know they fixed the problem in later updates! :)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:52 am »

Set your military to carry no food supplies. They'll be happier for it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."