Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 16x16  (Read 3134 times)

ToastySpace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
16x16
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »

Has anyone ever successfully used a 16x16 embark area?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: 16x16
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »

Pretty sure it would exceed the 2GB memory limit and crash.
This is a blank sig.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »

DO IT.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:20:34 pm »

Pretty sure it would exceed the 2GB memory limit and crash.

that hasn't been a thing for a while now. DF is large address aware.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Could be problems with framerate unless you restrict most of it.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:15:58 pm »

I know my system can handle it (16GB of memory used by a 64bit linux), however, DF is still a 32 bit app, so I think it still has some issues with the larger embarks.  I haven't tried it myself, though, so I could be mistaken.  Has anyone actually tried anything that large recently (post 0.34.01)?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:11:34 am »

I'll try it tomorrow.  I'm not scared.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:06 am »

Just did it with 34.09. 3 year old MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM. Lovely woodland area with 4 biomes and 3 converging rivers with two nice-sized waterfalls. 182 other creatures on the map from weasels to ravens to hippos to holy fuck that's a lot of carp. So, some trees were chopped and a kitchen dug out. Framerate was in the low teens, which was a bit disappointing, until I remembered that I still had DF running (but paused) in Windows, so I reckon it could have done a fair bit better had I given it a proper showing. I doubt it would have remained better for long, however.

On a properly modern machine with an assload of RAM, I reckon it could be playable in a limited style. An aboveground no immigrant fortress, or something like that. Actually with a 16x16 embark, build a town in each corner and connect them with a massive rail system. But DF won't be properly playable like this without threading as that's how all modern processors are getting their performance.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:56:23 am »

When I was experimenting with big embarks I found processor speed more limiting than memory. Maybe just because my intel i7 is so reliant on hyper threading for its theoretical performance...

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:51:18 am »

I did make a 16x16 fort...technically. Did in bite sized chunks using just embark to overlap.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Rbrx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 05:21:25 am »

Once I embarked over an entire human city, because why not.

After like a 15 minute load time, I had like 1800 other creatures, many of them hostile, including the town guards and the resident law giver, and a frame rate of one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:39:30 am »

I can do 16x16 embarks, but I don't play them.  I mostly just cover swathes of land like that when I'm looking for an Upright Candy, or a kobold cave, or other interesting map features that don't show up on the map.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:26 am »

This isn't common? I always make my embark site as large as it can be :O

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 10:07:15 am »

On Windows:

Get CFFExplorer.
Open Dwarf Fortress.exe
Select NT Headers -> File Header from the list on the left
Click "Click Here" next to Characteristics
Check "App Can Handle >2GB Address Space"
Save and quit

Dwarf Fortress is now able to address >2GB of Ram.

16x16 will still be slow, but if you have over 2 Gigs of RAM, it won't crash because of memory problems.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:57 am »

Going to try that out. I gave up playing on anything bigger than 8x8... Kinda pointless but I love all the space and increased chance of finding something !FUN!