Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nude Dwarf Bloodbath  (Read 1578 times)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nude Dwarf Bloodbath
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:33 pm »

I have dwarves beating th eheck out of each other, tantruming all over because they have no clothes... but I've made them clothes and it isn't helping. They're not tossing them on.

Is there a workaround for this? I'd like it if this great fort didn't fall to angry nude dwarves.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Nude Dwarf Bloodbath
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »

What types of clothing have you made?  You'll need upper- and lower-body coverings plus footwear, at a minimum.

Are you sure you have enough for all of your dwarves?

Do all of your dwarves have access to the clothing they need?

Check out the tantrumming dwarves and see what items they're missing or have at a wear level of "X" or "XX" (a wear level of "x" won't cause bad thoughts, but it might indicate that you're running low on that type of bodypart covering).

The best "workaround" is to make sure you prevent tantrums before they start by having a good clothing industry.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:29:33 pm »

Making clothes is the most effective solution to nude tantrum spirals, but I think you were too late. This is a tough problem to solve retroactively. They're too busy killing each other to put them on now, I'll warrant.

Besides that this is the same as any other tantrum spiral scenario, your first priority is to prevent deaths and other such wonderful manners of collateral damage, and secondly to find a way to cheer up the dwarves that are already angry. I recommend letting them idle with friends, family members and other depressed dwarves in a nicely furnished meeting hall as a sort of group therapy, unless they're miserable. You want to isolate those guys from the rest of the fort since they could potentially go berserk at any moment, and we all know a berserk dwarf doesn't pull punches. With luck, they should be comforted by friends, family and the amenities your dining room has to offer and then retire to a nice bedroom at the end of the month. Once they're stabilized you can send them back to work to ensure productivity and that they get some additional happy thoughts from working.

Other things to remember:
  • Mist generators kick tons of ass but it's hard to design them while a tantrum spiral is happening
  • Berserk dwarves trigger traps
  • Your mayor and manager are pretty important assets, they can conduct meetings and make dwarves feel better
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »

Well, it hasn't gotten too far out of hand yet... the traps thing I didn't think of. I've got a pit I was already designing to flood partway with water, to create a crazed elvish swim team (don't ask).... I could cage the naked ones, and rig it for mist I suppose. THank you. I just wanted to be sure the reason they weren't clothing themselves was because they were too busy being angry, and not because of some clothe thyself bug.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

I just wanted to be sure the reason they weren't clothing themselves was because they were too busy being angry, and not because of some clothe thyself bug.
Well, it could be if they're just sitting there with "No Job." They won't do any work or anything themselves (except perhaps pathing from enemies) if they're currently tantruming. Your best bet is to let them settle down and hope that they stay calm long enough to put some clothes on. You may be able to speed this along by turning off all their labors, hauling included, so they don't take up any jobs. I don't know if clothing themselves is a high priority "job."
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.