Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grand Canyons and other interesting world features  (Read 6224 times)

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grand Canyons and other interesting world features
« on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

What are some interesting features of your generated worlds you've noticed? I have found a river, a really really long river, running through part of mine, which lies in an incredibly deep canyon. For the first few areas after the mouth it has typical river elevations, but very quickly it starts getting deeper... and deeper... and deeper. Before it's even qualified as a full river, it's in a canyon marked with 9's on the cliffometer. By the time it's a major river, the canyon is all *'s and the other symbol for 20+ cliffs. And it's still only about halfway to the sea, winding all over the continent. It's the only river like this on my whole world.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Canyons and other interesting world features
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Heh, I found a huge natural cave filled with cave spiders webs and a with a small lake where a Giant Olm and a Giant Toad lived.  :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

I would LOVE to play that map! Can you give us the Seed number? what you do is you  change the Init file settings so that it exports world data with the map and then go to the legends screen and export it. There will be a new text file with the world map, and it has the seed number there.
I REALLY want to see that canyon!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

[SEED:2074608928]

The river is located a bit south of the middle of the eastern landmass. It runs through a big elf forest that's hard to miss.

edit: Oh yeah, the river's name was "Secret of Riders"

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

I've found canyons with cliffs that extreme to be nearly impossible to play.  The FPS of handling all those Z-levels is just ridiculous sometimes, even if your area is tiny.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

Awsome. I am starting up this world now. Prepare for Elven BASE jumper fun!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

I think this is the coolest thing I've seen so far (though it's in fortress mode, not the world map)

Unfortunately, I don't have the save anymore, ditched it when I went from 32a to 33a (just to be on the safe side).

I had taken this series of pictures during my initial scouting of the map while the game was paused, so the water hadn't really started to flow yet. I checked it out later and there was some nice mist at the bottom.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>I think this is the coolest thing I've seen so far (though it's in fortress mode, not the world map)

Unfortunately, I don't have the save anymore, ditched it when I went from 32a to 33a (just to be on the safe side).

I had taken this series of pictures during my initial scouting of the map while the game was paused, so the water hadn't really started to flow yet. I checked it out later and there was some nice mist at the bottom.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]</STRONG>

I had one of these that was a nice straight brook (rather than crooked) than ran off 10 levels til it reached the bottom.  It was great for building a fortress across the chasm.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

I started a fort on top of an "extreme" cliff that had about a 10 z-level drop on both the left and right sides with a river running along the top of it, then dropping down a waterfall in the southern part of the map about 10 z-levels.

Really one of the best maps I could imagine playing, though I doubt there's any magma nearby.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

I have a map with platinum on the third level, seed is 1.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »

Regarding butchery, I really hope that for example producing sweetbreads is pretty uncommon at low skill levels.  I mean think about it.  If you had someone off the street attempt to butcher a cow (let alone an elephant) they'd be pretty hard pressed to get anything more than a fraction of the meat off it, let alone a usable skin or a being able to identify that an organ is something they might want to eat.  I grant that these are dwarves we're talking about, and what looks appetizing is a little different, but they shouldn't just reach their grubby hand into the cow and pull out sweetbreads without fail.

What would be really awesome is if sometimes they pulled out the gallbladder or something equally disgusting, and called it sweetbreads, making whoever is unfortunate enough to try and eat it have a bad thought.  In some cases this could even be dangerous.

This brings me to another point: we need accidents in DF.  Plenty of skilled carpenters lose fingers or worse.  an unskilled dwarven butcher attempting to make something of an elephant's carcass could very well get lost in there.  Imagine the bad thoughts that could result from that tragedy:  Urist has eaten a friend recently.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 03:04:14 pm »

Haha, were you aiming for "Butcher's shop in the dev_now,"  or maybe the List thread?  That was quite a necro.

e: I see you did post it in the List thread.  There should be no need for further posting in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:12:31 pm by Footkerchief »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 05:26:56 pm »

How the hell did you somehow manage to post in this thread anyway? bloody odd.
Magma is overrated.