Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF ecosystem questions  (Read 1058 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF ecosystem questions
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:41:45 am »

I have read on this forum that a biome only has so many creatures, and a hunting-heavy fort might exterminate spicies so they will not be able to enter the embark site.
Is it true vice versa? can I capture a few horses, breed them in captivity(not taming them) and release them? will they ever return to my site? is it possible to do in caverns? I like the thought of wild horses wandering caverns after I released them there. will it work?
Can I do same with special creatures like dragons and hydras?  Have anyone tried to breed and release those kind of beasts?

Or is it not possible for some reason?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: DF ecosystem questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:59 am »

At the moment, only creatures with the [CHILD] tag and either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tags breed.  They breed if they're tame or wild, so wild populations of those creatures will reproduce and increase their numbers over time.  It is possible to hunt them to extinction, but more difficult than it used to be.  Creatures who don't have the right tags don't breed, and can easily be hunted to extinction.

I haven't tried releasing wild surface creatures into the caverns.  That's an interesting experiment to do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:49:49 am »

I don't know if that's tracked yet. Why don't you try it? You came up with a good idea, with that "introducing critters into foreign habitats" thing, but they might just end up back on the surface somehow. I'm having trouble thinking how to check if that's the case, though, so here's my suggestion for someone who wants to do some !!SCIENCE!!:

1. Create a thriving fortress.
2. Capture as many surface critters as you can and release them into the caverns, ideally unharmed. Breeding ideal but optional.
3. Release them into the caverns. Make sure they can't reach the surface.
4. Kill/capture as many cavern critters as possible.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 as needed, as well as possibly step 1, until you see some surface animals arriving in the caverns or, conversely, have killed all cavern animals until only the occasional forgotten beast shows up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24:57 am »

My issue is around

My fortressess generally live for a few years. just until immigrants and children start to put unbearable strain on my soul. Migrant waves of around 50 dwarfs are a sure way to abandon fort.

About verification: we can mark critters by burning their feets with magma. like making them to make a few steps in 1/7 magama should be enough to mark our animals in a unique way.
Other option is to chain them and destruct chain with a lever. this way animals will leave our site with rope around the neck.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:08:11 am »

"Feets?"

I'm not sure if the game will remember "X horses in location Y have burnt feet/ropes," which is why I advised using the caverns. Horses don't naturally occur in caverns.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:58 am »

"Feets?"

I'm not sure if the game will remember "X horses in location Y have burnt feet/ropes," which is why I advised using the caverns. Horses don't naturally occur in caverns.

You could let them kill a domestic animal; that will give them a name. War bobcats are perfect for this because they will aggressively attack wild animals but are so small that they usually lose to hoary marmots.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:36:36 am »

My issue is around

My fortressess generally live for a few years. just until immigrants and children start to put unbearable strain on my soul. Migrant waves of around 50 dwarfs are a sure way to abandon fort.

About verification: we can mark critters by burning their feets with magma. like making them to make a few steps in 1/7 magama should be enough to mark our animals in a unique way.
Other option is to chain them and destruct chain with a lever. this way animals will leave our site with rope around the neck.

in df folder - data - init is a file named d_init.txt. Here are soe general settings you can toggle such as weather, temperature, invaders and also, population cap (pop-cap). This will not stop migrants comming at exactly the point you set. Only when the liaison arrives, has a succesful discussion with your mayor/baron/expedition leader and leaves the map unharmed, will the liaison report you don't need more dwarfs.
Set it at 50 to recieve the 2 hardcoded waves + 1 year, 80 for another year. 80 is taking in account some casualties. In a no casualties fort with some wealth that usually will end you with 100+ dwarfs.

While you are there, you might change the child cap. After all, you don't want the married women mass-producing babies. One is a number cap, the other a % cap (forgot which is which). The number cap says "when there are x children and babies, there will be no new pregnancies. Similarly, the % cap looks at the number of adults and takes a percentage. so at 50%, if you have 60 adults, the max number of children and babies is 30. However, the cap takes the lowest setting, so if your number cap is at 20, that one will be active. Note that it doesn't prevent migrant children or existing pregnancies, only future, and setting it at 0:0 might deactivate it

Also, I might suggest using dfhack to give names to creatures
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:47:45 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.