Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Forgotten Beast  (Read 2199 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
My First Forgotten Beast
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:23 am »

I recently got a forgotten beast in my second cavern layer (Dolra, a huge tarantula with large mandibles, blocky and overlapping black scales, and a poisonous bite). To commemorate my first uninvited guest to visit one of my forts, I want a forgotten beast zoo in my dining room.
Currently, a floor in my hospital is the only thing keeping Dolra out. I could probably set up a bunch of cage traps in the hospital and go from there, but I hear that FBs are immune to traps. Sadly, I have no access to and kind of webbing things, so that's not an option. Any other ideas?
Just to help, there's already a long, narrow path out of my hospital, through a small (walled-off) bit of the first cavern layer, and then up a stairwell into my fort.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:22 am »

a cave-in wave is a good way to confuse trapavoids into traps.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:14:44 am »

Anything more specific, like how to time the cavein at such a time as to trap the FB, as opposed to squishing dwarves, tossing the FB into a wall, or simply not firing at the right time?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:41:17 am »

Something like:
Code: [Select]
.www.
.wTw.
ww#ww
w...w
w.S.w
w...w
wwwww
w= wall
#=fortification
T=cage trap, you FB stands on top of it.
S=support linked to a lever somewhere. it is supportin a constructed floor one level above(not shown)

Works this way:
1.you pull lever
2. support drops floor down. it creates a cavein dust.
3. dust goes through the fortification, confusing the FB.
4. confused FB is caught in the trap beneath it.

Make sure this place is sealed so dust do not cripple your dwarves.
Make sure you do it on a solid fundation, as caveins do break thin floors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:43 am »

...How do I get the forgotten beast there? I doubt it'll obey burrow orders.
Nope, it won't. Shoot.
Sig

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:18:12 am »

That would be a tottally different engineering question.
The trap room does not have to be 1x1. It can be a trapped tunnel or whatever...
The cavein cell can also be repeated every 5 tiles along the said tunnel.
then you can bait the beast into the structure and lock it there with bridges.
This may be easier to achieve:
Code: [Select]
wwwwwwwww
wTTTTTTTw
wT#####Tw
wT#...#Tw
wT#.S.#Tw
wT#...#Tw
wT#####Tw
wTTTTTTTw
wwwwwwwww

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:23 am »

I'll see what I can do. Unless maybe I just release Dolra on the goblins.
Sig

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:54:46 am »

It's Dolra the explorer ? :)

Just put pressure plates linked to bridges, or two levers connected to two bridges, then, you will have time for more ideas :)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:33 am »

Trap immunity also gives immunity to pressure plates.

Do the follwing in a layer of rock (we will need to carve fortifications later). My advice, make a long, LONG room that would take the beast quite a while to get across (to buy time). Fill it with loaded cage traps. Make raising bridges on both sides of the room, and a lever near a large meeting place for your dwarves (to minimize the time needed for it to be pulled). Time the lever pull to trap the beast within the bridges. Next, you need a giant cave spider. Dig out a room next to the FB room, and build the GCS cage inside of it, then hook that cage to a new lever (hooking it to the bridge lever will lead to Fun! and a lot of wasted time). Carve fortifications in the wall to allow the GCS to shoot webs at the FB. When your dwarf has fled the room, wall it up. GCS can destroy wooden buildings and constructions, so use a LOCKED metal door or constructed walls to keep it inside. When it is all set up, release the GCS from it's cage via the second lever and wait for it to web the FB on top of one of the cage traps. This room can also double as a silk farm if you use another raising bridge to toggle the GCS's line of sight into the room.

This assumes FBs are affected by webs. There may not be a way to do this otherwise, because cave-ins do not stun them either (but it does shove them around).

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:56 pm »

1.  Build a long passage (maybe 10 blocks) near the cavern.
2.  Put bait in the end (a door is a good option)
3.  Fill with cage traps.
4.  Build a cave-in tap next to the bait.
5.  Open up hallway to the cavern.
6.  Activate cavein trap once FB is in range.

Save first, this'll probably take you a couple tries.  It is easier (and reusable) with webs.

I highly recommend keeping all your FBs in a cage and sending them to the circus.  Most epic fight ever.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »

Lagslayer: Non-webbing FBs are not webimmune. Are you sure they're not stunnable?

And to the forums in general: What'll happen after Dolra finishes smashing the door? What will it do after that? If it'll probably wander back into the caverns, will a higher quality/stone door survive longer than a flimsier door?
Sig

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:06 pm »

Not sure about quality, but I think a stronger material will last longer. An adamantine door should be nearly indestructable. Read nearly.

Of course, if the creature is only building destroyer 1 as opposed to 2, they can only break wood stuff.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:46 am »

The material doesn't have any effect, only the quality.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 03:56:16 am »

and artifact doors are unbreakable.