Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie pathfinding  (Read 666 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Zombie pathfinding
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:16:24 am »

I can't find my previous suggestion about this so:
Would be cool if zombie pathfinding would be "directed". It means - when zombie have seen somebody he have walks directly on this target & don't trying to bypass an obstacle (or have minimum of maneuver) (he have to fall of the cliffs & move through the water & magma). If he hasn't seen anybody he just walks around like it did but if he seen the door or bridge he will move to it & will awaits for "food". They need to communicate with each other by "sound". So when a zombie have sees the "food" he move in its direction & if this zombie in a range of another zombie (2nd zombie didn't see this "food", he have sees only 1st zombie) they are moved by the zombie who have sees this "food". They must lead each other.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie pathfinding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:19:01 am »

The dead walk!

"OKay zombies! GO! I said go, go! Its right there! Go! ITS RIGHT THERE, JUST CAUSE YOU DONT SEE THEM DOESNT MEAN THEY DONT EXIST! GO! GO! AAAAGH!"

Zombies in DF are unique, they arent the insta-kill ones from L4D, or the slow stupid ones from DR. There good IMHO.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:51:18 am »

That'll make zombie killing a bit easy.
1. Open drawbridge
2. Zombies walk towards it
3. Close drawbridge
4. Open drawbridge

Other ways would work too, with crossboltdwarves and fortifications.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:13 am »

That'll make zombie killing a bit easy.

Yes, I didn't think about it =). Maybe they don't need to be followed to doors/bridges... Or the quantity of them must be raised much more to make it real fun =)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:39:59 pm »

I think that, given the fact that they only raise dead hands, heads, and other bits like that, as opposed to "1 bite=1 new zombie," and given that zombies only enter the map a few at a time, zombies can't be counted on to arrive in large numbers. I think all limbs should be raiseable, so as to increase zombie-count, but that's not important right now.
Zombies shouldn't be tactical geniuses, but they shouldn't be "+cave spider silk trousers+-on-head stupid," either. They should be clever enough to guess that there might be prey on the other side of a door, and dumb enough to not know to retreat, but not much smarter or umber than that. Unless, of course, they're being commanded by a necromancer, in which case they should act as though they're as smart as the necromancer.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.