Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King's Bounty Megatopic  (Read 2301 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
King's Bounty Megatopic
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »

A bit of background:
King's Bounty is a turn-based fantasy computer and video game designed by Jon Van Caneghem of New World Computing in 1990. The game follows the player's character, a hero of King Maximus, appointed with the job of retrieving the Sceptre of Order from the forces of chaos, led by Arech Dragonbreath. King's Bounty is notably considered the forerunner of the Heroes of Might and Magic series of games.

A Mega Drive/Genesis port was developed and released in North America on February 21, 1991, with a multitude of graphical changes. The gameplay was also modified to incorporate real time overworld exploration.

King's Bounty is widely considered to be the precursor for much of the gameplay in the Heroes of Might and Magic series (the Might and Magic series being the basis for the storyline), both of which were published by New World Computing and designed by Jon Van Caneghem. Among the many similarities, an emphasis on hero development and combat style are especially prominent in both. In the introduction to the player manual of Heroes III, van Caneghem credits King's Bounty as the precursor to Heroes of Might and Magic.[1] King's Bounty is included in some HOMM anthologies, including the Heroes of Might and Magic Compendium and Heroes of Might and Magic Millennium Edition. The anthology versions also provide a native executable for Windows, though not fully supported in Windows NT-based operating systems.

In 2008, a spiritual sequel titled King's Bounty: The Legend was released.

So I've been playing the hell out of this series. I've been running through 'The Legend' again lately, and loving every second of it. I have all the expansions to The Legend, which add about.. 3, 4 times more gameplay than vanilla. I say this safely. Vikings, ho!

The second game is 'Armored Princess', which, again, I've played the hell out of. It's gotten love in the form of the Crossroads [which... does a lot] expansion pack, but the game was already rather huge to begin with anyways. Orcs, ho!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, the formula should be familiar to strategy fans. You are a hero, and you have a party of troops. You travel on an overworld map and avoid/engage in battles, dig up treasures, complete quests and generally try not to get murderized.

The combat is difficult. The units are varied and the pool to choose from is massive. Strategy is necessary or you will not complete half of the game. I love everything about it, as it hearkens back to the old HOMM's [which.. it inspired originally]. The games are very good. The company developing this is famous for Men of War/Space rangers. Quirky, yes, but solid and very good games. King's Bounty is another of these, with massive amounts of gameplay rammed into two games.

I will make a better OP if this topic survives.  If you enjoy HOMM-like games, this game will definitely scratch your itch. Just gauging whether any Bay12 likes King's Bounty enough to gush over it. Hell, this topic can even be for speculation on the next King's Bounty release.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:43:09 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: King's Bounty Megatopic
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:20 pm »

... wasn't the latest thing Legions? Wait, no. Actually looking at dates, now... looks like the last thing was Warriors of the North, which was the third game, like AP was the second. And it got some kind of official DLC thing just this year.

Anywaay... yeah, KB's great. I don't have WotN, but do have anything crossroads and earlier. Still... still haven't actually finished any of them, though. Campaigns seem to get incredibly rough, difficulty wise, quite quickly. Approaching nasty "Win with no losses or reload" stuff. Still... it's fun. Like it, would recommend to anyone that liked HoMM.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

It was fun for a bit. Until you get to the stage where you constantly have to run back around the world to pick up new creatures. I got so pissed at the point. The level of tedium involved was IMMENSE.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »

I played it quite a bit but NEVER completed it. I have Legend and Princess but never played princess because i want to play them in order... and the furthest i got in Legends on both my Warrior and Mage characters was the icy dorf mauntainlands and i always kinda burned out at that point.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »

I own several of them but didn't really get convinced that they were good games. The combat is similar to HOMM and it has a similar army mechanic, but that is where I feel the similarities end.

This is all from memory and I didn't play much but from what I remember the game pretty much devolved to fighting easy fights and getting units with high health. I don't think there was a way, outside of combat, to earn money. That means if you survived a fight with only 2 units left you didn't really have a way to get back on your feet.

The high health thing came from the healing mechanic. If you had 50 units with 10 health and they got hit for 201 damage, 20 would die and one would have 9 health left. If you than healed that bunch of units for 200 points of damage you would only REALLY heal that one unit for 1 damage. On the other hand if you had ONE unit with 500 health hit for 201 damage, you could heal it for 200.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:34:21 pm »

Played it a ton, had fun, but eventually ran into the same problem where I teleported to some sort of pirate world and then couldn't find enough good units to fight the people there and ran out of money. Then it became impossible to come back from that :\ I also got kind of tired of fetch quests...

Still, pretty solid!

I remember reading some criticism that Armoured Princess was basically the same as the original one or something like that? After that I became convinced there wasn't really lots of new content. Not that new content for the game would've helped me much, since I basically never ran through all of the content of the original anyway ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:39:27 pm »

It was fun for a bit. Until you get to the stage where you constantly have to run back around the world to pick up new creatures. I got so pissed at the point. The level of tedium involved was IMMENSE.

Yeah if there was a weakness to the game this would be it.

I mean I play as conservatively as humanly possible, and even I find that my resources are dwindling away.

Also I like the Princess' dragon mechanic 100 times more then the 4 guardians.

GP Trixie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:13:58 pm »

I love this series too. I think crossworld is the best one. The latest one warrior of the north was too rushed, half of the units have mistranslated descriptions with some meaning the complete opposite of what's actually hapening. And numerous crash to desktop, at least for me. Don't buy that one.

Crossworld on the other hand is well polished and great. It stills have some balance issues, some games you will get super good items, spells and awesome troups and sometimes you'll struggle very hard. There is a tool for scanning the game to see what troops and items you will get, but there is cleary something wrong if you need to rely on that kind of thing.

I won the game multiple times on impossible so here some tricks if you find the game too hard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A fanmade expansion exists for crossworld. It's called red sand, and it seems to add a lot of new things (new troops, spells, islands, a new ice damage type ...). The problem is I think it lacks the same kind of polish as warrior of the north. The translation is even worse, but it's fanmade so it's already a little miracle there is something else than the russian version. And they don't solve any of balance issue I talked about, so I never managed to really get into this one. But you should totally check it out if you want even more content than in crossworld.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »

Woo!
It's one of those games that i get a bit into then burn out and by the time i return to it i have to start all over becausemy save disapeared!
Quite a pitty really... i should plot through it at least once.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 04:15:31 pm »

Its really time for Kings bounty 2 and not for more of the same (with very little new things with the last few expansions).

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »

I played this a tinnyyyy bit and quickly got burned out - I really wanted to like it but just could never gel with it due to the fact that the margins were so small and you never seemed to have that awesome 'winning' feeling with it - it just felt like I was reloading and trying again until my losses were manageable.

Might try it again with some of GP's tips!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.