Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Browser Game] Estiah  (Read 1654 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
[Browser Game] Estiah
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:11 pm »

Estiah is a game based around a sort've "card game" model (Not entirely, mind you, don't go in expecting tyrant or mtg or something, but similarities are there), where you place things called "charms" in a "deck"(Called gears in game). When battle occurs, the gear is shuffled and it pulls them out at random, and uses them. Entirely free of input from the player. This was necessary at the time the game was done to allow player combat.

The plot justifies charms (basically temporary weapons) is that after a while of humans kicking the hell out of each other, the gods stepped in and for all intents and purposes, took their toys away. All the swords and spears and knives and magic and shit ceased to exist. However, humans, being clever and resourceful fellas, made CHARMS. Which hold the essence of a sword or a knife or whatever. When a charm is used, it generates the object that it holds the essence of, just long enough to take a swing at another dude or demon or whatever. Then it vanishes, and has to "reboot" so to speak.

Now, this lends itself to a kind've neat playstyle where you're not always shooting to fill your gear to the maximum, in an attempt to keep from decking out (which is still a threat in this game, mind), but rather sometimes putting in a few armor cards and a big combo or two in there that you're counting on blowing the other guy away. The hands free combat system is hardly simple, you do have to put a lot of thought into your deck construction depending on what kind've enemy you're going up against later in the game. Some focus on big melee attacks, some focus on big magical attacks, some focus on spirit attacks, Some use spirit DEFENSE, etcetcetc. Those are simplistic examples. Some later game PvE bosses can get really nasty if you're not set up right for them. You may be wondering what a spirit attack is, and also some of the other stuff. I'll briefly go over some charm types in the game.

Melee attack - Normal attack, melee variety. Melee attacks are intercepted by armor, and come in various different flavors depending on the weapon the charm is. (Fists destroy armor better, Doing extra damage to armor when they hit armor, Spears do damage and apply an over time buff to your armor, causing it to raise slowly, knives pierce armor, always doing at least a bit of damage, etc.)

Magic attack - Normal attack, magic variety. Intercepted by "ward", which is just magic armor, nothing special. Also come in a variety of different types, usually determined by element rather then weapon type. Fire does a ton of damage, and specializes in attacking multiple opponents at once if you're fighting more then one, ice pierces ward, etc.

Armor - Intercepts melee attacks. That's pretty much all she wrote. Some apply the armor over time, giving you less armor per turn, but less chance for the enemy to just completely wreck it in one turn, some give you above average armor for sacrificing something else, typically ward.

Ward - See armor. Mostly the same thing, but intercepts magic. You knew that already though.

Buff - Buffs can do a huge variety of things. Different classes specialize in different buffs (I use specialize VERY loosely, more on that in classes though), some will boost your next magic/melee attack, some will give you multiple actions in a row, at the cost of eating away your limited spirit, they can be a big gamble, etc.

Debuffs - Indirect attacks, or attack weakening. That's pretty much all they'll do, but they'll do it very well.

Willpower & Spirit - Spirit both refers to the amount of charms you can have in your deck, and spirit attacks, which basically force your opponent to discard charms. This can be an amazing way to kill off an opponent, if they're not expecting it, and is often the first thing that will blindside a new player and wreck them. Willpower is defense for spirit attacks, and judging by how badly it can wreck people, it's important.

There are a lot more charm types then that, but I mostly covered important stuff. There are also charms that effect allies, some classes get exclusive charms that do neat stuff, some charms give everyone on your team armor, or boost all their damage, or etcetcetcetc. There's a TON of variety as you progress.

There are also Stats. Stats... just serve as vectors to change classes. A novice needs 100 int and 80 of another stat, A Guard needs 100 con and 80 of another stat, etc. Stats don't do anything otherwise, you will not do more physical damage for having more strength. Although you need certain stats to equip certain charms. Axes use strength, spears use con and dex, etc.

Classes... classes, unlike most other games do not provide a MASSIVE BOOST IN POWER when you reach them. What they WILL do is give you access to a bunch of exclusive charms. Guards will get a lot of cumulative armor charms, Novices get a lot of damage boosters, etc. I think you also get like 5 extra spirit or something on a class change? Not sure about that. Point is, don't expect to suddenly be doing three times the damage you were before just because you changed classes. Do you take a minor hop up in firepower and flexibility, due to the new charms available? Yes! But you don't suddenly become a hellmonster either.

Jobs, jobs are simple. They give you stats every day, and are the main way you're gonna get stats. The other way you're gonna get stats is skills, which, when leveled up, give you specific stats.

Pets are little "minigame vectors" so to speak, that I'll let you figure out on your own.

There are guilds, but they require a shit ton of gold. I'll look into it if this takes off.

There is PvP, but only certain towns allow it. You start out in a town that doesn't let you PvP, but can move to one once you hit level 3, which will take no time at all if you do your job.

So, I've basically gone over the game concepts, leaving one thing left. If you're having trouble with a certain part of the game, and you seem to be lagging behind, stop doing your job, and switch to a job that doesn't give you stats. This will artificially lengthen your character development time and give you time to get caught up. If you're a big min maxer, you can just never do a job that gives you stats, but note that this will make char development take AGES. It'll make sure you're never unprepared for the game, but it will take for-ev-er. Be warned.

So, now that you've sat through my yammering, go to town. It's a neat little game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Browser Game] Estiah
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:05 pm »

I used to play this. There's some serious strategy involved with setting up your decks and such, but I got bored to tears with how I couldn't play the actual card game manually at all. Instead I fast forwarded as I watched an A.I. play for me. Not sure if it's changed since then, but probably not.

Maybe I'm not the majority here, but I don't like browser-based grinding as I watch the computer play the only part of the game I'm actually interested in.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: [Browser Game] Estiah
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »

It hasn't, and I can't really blame you for that. That's probably the main issue with the game, as of now. But it seems like most online card game things have gone this route, or at least encourage you to go such a route (like tyrant, it's better to set up a deck that plays itself successfully rather then require your input). Also pit of war has hit it off lately, which seems to do a similar thing. :P