Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HAND POWER!  (Read 727 times)

mugglewump0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HAND POWER!
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:59 am »

I noticed that with the rollers for mine carts getting the power down to some of the deep levels which people want to go to would be extremely time consuming, so I was thinking what if you had, simliar to a dwarf in a hamster wheel, producing electricity or a dwarf with a pump producing the power needed, it would be far less messy and simple to impliment and would use the pump operators skill job. Thoughts?

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HAND POWER!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:42:16 am »

At this point, you might as well just have them push the carts themselves. Also, from my limited experience with the use of pumps, dwarfs actually using them is unreliable at best... probably resulting in a traffic jam in your suggestion.

Edit: If you are feeling particularly dwarfy, you could do this a very redundant way... (first of all, let me qualify this statement by saying that I have never used water wheels, but believe I have some grasp on their mechanics). Have a water pump, powered by a dwarf, that pushes water up to a waterwheel and then the water flows back down below the pump again to be reused by the pump again?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:53:36 am by bp1986 »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »

You mean the infamous DF perpetuum mobile? Many people use this infinite power source in their forts - small water reactor can give a lot of power to you:)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »

Sort of.
A water reactor, but leave out the gear making it self-powered.

If the pump dwarf walks off the job, it would shut down.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »

So...basically, a neat little device that hooks a dwarf up to produce rotational energy?

Sounds reasonable. I mean, from a game perspective, everything that can be done with power can be done by hand, and from a story perspective, it's just a wheel they turn to do whatever. It could also be useful, say if you're filling a minecart with some kind of liquid, or giving a dwarf a ride, or pumping magma.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.