Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pastures  (Read 1489 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Pastures
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »

I think pastures should not hold animals in its zone because how? There is no restraint there & the meaning of restraint are lost then. Pastures must be a zone of delivery bu not for hold them in it.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Pastures
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:30:27 pm »

I've always liked the idea of a wooden fence, quick to build, more than one tile per log (implemented like horizontal axles), that stops livestock but not dwarves or invaders.  The pastures would be a dropoff point.  You could then have the option of using floodfill to define the area that you want them brought back to if they get out somehow.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »

Same thing with the meeting hall. Animals shouldn't move there.

nidpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »

Toady One cited that pastures act the way they do because it would be too obnoxious to have dwarves constantly on animal hauling duty when the oblivious livestock wanders away. It's a concession to not being annoying, rather than realism. If pastures were redefined with a fence, they would probably need to be buildings, not activity zones.

As is, the fact that grazers will hang out in a stone dining room and starve to death is a testament to how half-baked animals operate currently. I think Toady One has a clear idea of how animals *should* work, it's just not that fun or important when the system right now let's us just dump them somewhere or clear out the grazer tag in their raws so they're at least not obnoxious to field.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »

The key feature of 'pastures' should be dwarves dropping plants there so the larger critters can actually survive.

So the answer to "Why on earth do these critters stick around?!?" becomes "Because that's where they get fed!"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »

Toady One cited that pastures act the way they do because it would be too obnoxious to have dwarves constantly on animal hauling duty when the oblivious livestock wanders away. It's a concession to not being annoying, rather than realism. If pastures were redefined with a fence, they would probably need to be buildings, not activity zones.

If pen/pasture animal actually used the animal hauling labor, I would have a few dwarves on animal hauling labor just to keep them busy. Heck my animal trainer needs something to do while the next shipment of while boars arrive.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:44 pm »

Here's an idea-

1.) Make a zone.
2.) Build some walls around it.
3.) Add a door that is facing the opposite direction. Make it so it IS NOT pet passable.
4.) Tell you dwarves to stick the dirty animals livestock into the zone.
5.) ???
6.) PROFIT!!!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:22:57 am »

There should be a building called a feeder, you set a pasture from the feeder. Dawrves with the animal care labor enabled take food to the feeder and animals in the pasture eat this, or graze if you dont give them food.(grazeing rate is increaced) to feed the animals ther would be a new crop wich grows quickly in groups of 7 to 12 leaving 3 to 4 seeds, so you dont have to spend forever growing food for cattle.

Problem solved
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22:48 am »

There should be a building called a feeder, you set a pasture from the feeder. Dawrves with the animal care labor enabled take food to the feeder and animals in the pasture eat this, or graze if you dont give them food.(grazeing rate is increaced) to feed the animals ther would be a new crop wich grows quickly in groups of 7 to 12 leaving 3 to 4 seeds, so you dont have to spend forever growing food for cattle.

Problem solved

Wait... You have to grow food for them? Oops...

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:21 am »

You could feed them cave wheat or longland grass as fodder.  Basically any millable plant I suppose.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:44:50 am »

Wait... You have to grow food for them? Oops...

Not currently, no.  Having the option to grow food for heavy grazers, or any grazers in situations of poor quality grazing land, would be nice.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:35:48 am »

Really after all the "The stray foal/calf/etc has starved to death!" announcements I'd settle for the option to have all offspring of a pastured animal be assigned to that zone automatically.