Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I make this?  (Read 1668 times)

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I make this?
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »

This is an idea I had in English class this morning (UK time).
All Quiet on the Mountain Front: A WW1-inspired mod for DF.
New weapons: Rifles, pistols, shotguns, machine guns, artillery, flamethrowers and gas. Not sure how DF would handle artillery- I hear that arcing flight paths are in the works though.
Possible addition of vehicles- replaces wagons with trucks that give scrap steel upon disassembly- needed to make guns. WW1-style tanks are a possibility- something similar to a Mark I or A7V for instance.
Rifles would be intended as bolt-action rifles (i.e Mauser G98) but may act like breech-loaders due to the limits of the engine- may not be possible to have a longer reload time after, say, 5 or 10 shots. Machine guns may also be problematic as it may not be possible for a weapon to fire more than one projectile at a time.
Pistols would be used exclusively by officers- again, intended to represent a weapon that fires several rounds before reloading, such as a Webley revolver or Colt 1911.
Shotguns are also a problem. I'm not entirely sure how DF would do buckshot, and before anyone asks, the US often issued modified Winchester shotguns as 'trench guns' to sergeants instead of the standard Springfield 1903.
Bullets would be made from metal and gunpowder (likely made from 'old-style' ingredients).
New tactics- siegeing enemies will dig trenches and use tactics similar to those used on the Western Front- that is, human/elf/goblin wave tactics preceded by artillery barrages. The competence of commanders would have to be greatly reduced.
New armor types- anyone who gets shot is likely screwed, so armor wouldn't actually do anything in a realistic WW1 mod. However, gas masks would be needed, as some enemies may make extensive use of poison gas.
Psychological/health effects- possibility for Dwarfs to get 'shell-shocked' (something similar may already be in effect), 'trench foot' which may result in the feet getting infected and needing amputation and various ailments from gas attacks.
If there's anything I've missed, feel free to tell me.

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
Re: Should I make this?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

Sad to say, but everything aside from making firearms that fire and reload in exactly the same way as crossbows and perhaps metal jeeps which would still be pulled by pack animals and never move under their own power is impossible with the current available options in raw files.

Edit:  Well, it might be possible to make trench foot a syndrome, but I don't think it can really be transmitted in the way it would have been.  And you could make creatures/castes which are capable of producing a nerve gas with an interaction, but a piece of armor that keeps dwarves from inhaling the gas isn't possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:03:20 pm by Paramatter »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »

Yes. There are no ideas that should not be tried.

*reads topic*

Yes. Yes. If you can figure out all of this stuff, yes.

You can make dwarves immune and assume they all have gas masks, or you can make gas masks useable in a reaction that generates an interaction-syndromey gas that grants immunity (although then you couldn't have them removed).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:36 pm »

Wagons should be the same, but as for pulling pack animals you could make them motorcycles, with a fleshy rider on it (all would still count as one ceature)

Tanks, artilleries would have to be a creature aswell using their shots as interactions, In the MASTERWORK suggestions thread, I posted a very indepth way of doing this.

Buckshot would have to be an interaction as well, so either use a shotgun and a box of buckshot to transform a dwarf/human into a shotgunner. that has a built in shotgun and a scattershot interaction (download Project Clockwerks, I have a firing interactions and a buckshot. they also have a nice "smoke" effect to boot)

I thought helms with 100 coverage help against inhaled syndromes (this is what I heard a long time ago, so it could have changed)

If you go with pistols for your officers, I'd make it a Trench knife combo (good stabbing, no slash, and one hell of a punch (old ww1 trench knives where triangle like blades made for piercing the thick coats the soldiers wore, they even had knuckle dusters built in)) also pistol whipping
so:
Colt 1911 W/ <metal name> trench knife

new tactics, saddly no. Unless you can get your hands on DF source code and program your own AI

EDIT:
btw im all for this

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »

LFR has a nice reaction for making mechanical spiders you could adapt for tanks also meph made a method of turning a dwarf into a steam tank somewhere

an interesting addition would be air plane if flying pathing wasn't broke
you might be able to do machine gun an artillery emplacements as stationary creatures using interactions.
alternitivly for the shotgun you could just give the projectile large contact area and low penertration

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

Taking this all into account, I could probably make the infantry weapons. The rest I'll have to look up on the wiki.
I may just start with the weapons. Vehicles and stuff may come later.
Hang on, I've just had an incredibly silly idea.
Make 'tanks' part of civilisations, possibly playable in Adventure Mode as seperate creatures rather than crewed vehicles. Less powerful 'wild' tanks could roam in the wilderness and be a possibility for werebeasts.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:01:21 pm »

the infantryman has transformed into a weretank

mixed feelings :P

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:08 pm »

Go for it!

Machine guns could be done as 1-tile workshops that produce berserking fireballs syndrome (or whatever material emission you want) for the emplaced kind. If you want some help with graphics, I'd be glad to help (check out my work on dorfamunda for samples.)
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »

Could tanks not be a creature with [MOUNT] or [MOUNT_EXOTIC]? Don't goblins already come and shoot their ranged weapons while the mount is ripping you to shreds?
The virus could be more difficult, and I can only think of a humourous yet inneficient or helpful way to do this. Have soil replaced by rock with the same properties, and when mined combust into "trenchfoot vapours" with dwarves being the only immune creature.(or not, if you're evil...) That way, once they mine it, it becomes your duty to mak them regret it, any way you see fit... but you lose all soil, I believe.

Just a little opinion, disregard as you see fit.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:49:11 pm »

Right, I'm having a look at the wiki page for making custom weapons and I think I know what I need to do. Thing is, I have no idea where to actually start with making the weapons. If there's any mods that add guns that I could build from, please direct me to them.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:25 pm »

Hunter's Moon http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63082
Underhive Settlement http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100255.0
Black Powder Firearms http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85060.0

And

Regeneration 5.0 Phoebus http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92138.0

I have ways of making gunpowder, and the Heavy Bolter from WH40k as a gun ref

EDIT:
also for the making of inorganic things look at Project Clockwerks http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104751.msg3294830#msg3294830
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:57:58 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

optimusjamie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:28 pm »

Thanks, Hugo. I'll take a look at those sometime.