Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update coal processing returns for the new mining mechanics!  (Read 1591 times)

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently, coal smelting still gives the same coke returns as it did before, but with the new 25% mining drop ratio, that's a significant decrease in the amount of coal that's available for us.
My suggestion, therefore, is to adjust the smelter raws to let bituminous coal produce 9 coke, and lignite 5 coke. That will provide the same coke production per mined tile as previously (2/1 net coke gain per tile), and be in line with the metal ore adjustments.
My second suggestion, if you think this would fit, is to let peat leave behind boulders that can each be smelted to produce 2 coke, for a net gain of 1 or .25/tile, since you can burn it for fuel in real life despite it not being very efficient compared to coal.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: Update coal processing returns for the new mining mechanics!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

I like this a lot, especially the peat thing. It makes sense.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »

Me likee.  Seriously though, this is very smart to pick up on.  I hadn't even thought of the lack of coal until you mentioned it.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »

It doesn't make sense or peat to become coke. Why not just make peat fuel itself?

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »

Currently, coal smelting still gives the same coke returns as it did before, but with the new 25% mining drop ratio, that's a significant decrease in the amount of coal that's available for us.
My suggestion, therefore, is to adjust the smelter raws to let bituminous coal produce 9 coke, and lignite 5 coke. That will provide the same coke production per mined tile as previously (2/1 net coke gain per tile), and be in line with the metal ore adjustments.
My second suggestion, if you think this would fit, is to let peat leave behind boulders that can each be smelted to produce 2 coke, for a net gain of 1 or .25/tile, since you can burn it for fuel in real life despite it not being very efficient compared to coal.
The change in mining drop also has serious impacts on the use of other economic stones in reactions, especially flux in making steel.  Yeah, sometimes you get 80,000 marble in your embark, but if you only have 2800 dolomite then that 25% drop rate means you only have enough flux for 700 bars of steel (instead of 2800 as before).  This also adversely affects using kaolinite for making porcelain, which is especially annoying as porcelain is fairly valuable and kaolinite is usually present only, when present at all, in fairly small quantities.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »

oh yeah.  This is kind of important lol.

Also, peat should be used directly as fuel, and not as coke.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:04 am »

Good points, both of you.

Maybe pig iron and steel smelting could be changed to use more metal bars at once, then.
4 iron (or one iron ore) + 1 flux + 3 coke + fuel -> 4 pig iron (higher carbon content, more coke)
4 iron + 4 pig iron +1 flux +1 coke + fuel -> 8 steel (lesser carbon content, less coke)
This would make steel production a problem if you only have a few bars of iron, though.

Using peat as fuel directly is more elegant, and more realistic too. Derp.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:38:40 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:15:12 am »

It probably makes sense for the coke reaction to produce more coke. Same with wood and charcoal.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:33 am »

I added a reply about flux in 34.08 discussion thread - hope it gets fixed. I added info about RAW typo yesterday and today it's fixed in devbllog. So Toady is reading it and will see to a problem:)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:15 am »

or just make every reaction from a furnace that uses items from mined out rock produce 5 times as many bars.  The only loser then is stone crafting, furniture masonry, and rock decorations.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:49 am »

Furniture should be a loser -- you need large slabs to make doors and tables.

Stone crafting and polishing could stand to be use smaller parts, but stone is still abundant, so it hardly matters.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:46 am »

Furniture should be a loser -- you need large slabs to make doors and tables.

Stone crafting and polishing could stand to be use smaller parts, but stone is still abundant, so it hardly matters.
I don't care about the reduction in noneconomic stone, every fortress I've ever had has been inundated with noneconomic stone anyway.  I suppose it might be a problem if you're trying to embark on a glacier on top of fifteen z-levels of soil on top of an aquifer.  Otherwise, meh, whatever.