Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine in the caves?  (Read 3081 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Adamantine in the caves?
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »

Is adamantine in the caves normal? I haven't seen any (natural ;) ) lava yet but already adamantine.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine in the caves?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:05 pm »

Btw, this occured just above the lava layer. I discovered this by digging down a bit further XD
"zzz"

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty common.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

Is adamantine in the caves normal? I haven't seen any (natural ;) ) lava yet but already adamantine.
Btw, this occured just above the lava layer. I discovered this by digging down a bit further XD
Yes, it's normal - in fact, that's usually the only place you'll find it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:35:20 pm »

I always found it down in the lava :/ This is my first time finding it it the caves.
Yeah, it's pretty common.
then I must be the unluckiest sod in existence.

I have NEVER found addy in the cave, only in the lava.

Same
"zzz"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:05:34 am »

If you have a high magma sea or a very deep lower cavern, it can happen. I remember one of my candy spires extended through two different caverns, so it's entirely possible, if a bit on the rare side.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:08 am »

I once found adamantium 30z below the surface in the first caverns.  Pretty new to the game then.  I thought, "Neato! I'll just mine that out."

And now I know, and knowing is half the battle.  GI JOE!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:23 pm »

There are easy ways to make the candy spires bigger by messing with the distances between the caverns in worldgen, according to the worldgen entry on the wiki.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:55:07 pm by lastofthelight »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

There are easy ways to make the candy spires bigger by messing with the distances between the caverns in worldgen, according to the worldgen entry on the wiki.

As far as I've seen in 34.x, this is no longer the case.  In particular,  I've never seen a candy spire go through a cavern; Not with 1, 2 or 3 caverns, regardless of distance between any/all layers in advanced worldgen.  If anyone has a worldgen with a spire that extends entirely through a cavern, please, post it.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

It was relatively common in 31.25, however.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »

Note to those not finding candy in caves:

Most cave candy goes to cavern 3. If you have less than 3 caverns, you're extremely unlikely to find any candy outside the magma sea. I've heard candy can exist in caverns 2 and 1, but I've never seen either myself.

And yeah you can make candy spires MUCH bigger if they extend to cavern 3 by increasing the distance between cavern 3 and the magma sea. This, however, makes the happy fun stuff tube extend well beyond the magma sea, meaning risk is greater than ever of breaching it accidentally.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:16 pm »

I've had spires extend ludicrously far up, but most of the time it was because of a glitch or bug.

One memorable example was my starting seven spawning on a candy spire several thousand Z tall. A few seconds later, magma began falling from the sky. If my dorfs had lived, I would have built an adamantine altar to Armok spanning between the spires of the stuff scattered about the map.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:00 am »

I've had spires extend ludicrously far up, but most of the time it was because of a glitch or bug.

One memorable example was my starting seven spawning on a candy spire several thousand Z tall. A few seconds later, magma began falling from the sky. If my dorfs had lived, I would have built an adamantine altar to Armok spanning between the spires of the stuff scattered about the map.
Where was the magma coming from?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:59 am »

Where was the magma coming from?

In my experience adamantine spires sometimes have pockets of entrapped magma surrounded by a ring of adamantine- but not at the top or bottom. If a feature like this were genned 100 z levels above ground the magma would just fall out, I suppose. however I've only seen these pockets at or near the magma sea.