Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Failure of Affirmative Action  (Read 3462 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Failure of Affirmative Action
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:10:00 am »

I got a wee bit mad, Maybe even a bit butthurt.
This video should entertain a few of you.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Failure of Affirmative Action
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:47 am »

Party foul: Failing to read the full heading of the Wikipedia article when researching.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »

I wonder why women study humanities.  Why are they making a choice that's so obviously wrong?  Are they just irrational?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »

I wonder why women study humanities.  Why are they making a choice that's so obviously wrong?  Are they just irrational?

Of course we are, and thus we deserve everything bad we get.... Funny thing about "choices" with those careers when girls are sorta pushed into them by society anyhow: no climbing trees, or getting dirty, and a focus on looks, while being ushered away from math and science....

It's so nice to see this man has taken an econ 101 course and can thus patronizingly explain to us why and how we chose to suck....

And, hey, if all the good fields end up being 100% white male again, then that's just an "economic reality," that affirmative action "can't fix." Corruption and bias don't exist. Clearly favoritism isn't real and system was "perfect" before anything changed at all from the way people like him wanted it to be....

More of the same, "world is perfectly fair and I'm implicitly awesome due to choices I made and everyone else sucks due to their sucky choices," crap....

Life isn't fair and people saying this crap is proof.

[doesn't even care anymore]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:41:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

That guy sounds like someone who misunderstood this video and then decided that men were being discriminated against here.

(I'd recommend watching the video I linked. It's like this one, but without the parody-level idiocy.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:25 am »

I don't see this thread going anywhere useful, considering Kilroy has straight up asserted that he either doesn't believe institutionalized privilege exists, or just doesn't feel it's something anyone needs to acknowledge as existing.

I also feel that it's sort of telling how completely non-sequitur their anecdote of "i knew a black kid who did good in school AND a black kid who did bad!" is.

Edit:  Hahahaha look at how terrible of a person this dude is.   Hahaha at least watch for a minute.  It's good to know that the wily female gold digger is no threat to men who keep their wits about them!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:05:24 am by Capntastic »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:12 am »

I tend to immediately disregard someone who prefaces their debate credentials with a showcase of their beastly guitar licks.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:19:16 am »

It's not even his guitarmanship, it's that he cherry picks his statistics in ways that don't actually follow logically.  For someone who claims to be vested in objective truth, he sort of does a weird juggler's act of finding any sort of statistic that almost seem to support his view until you scrutinize it-- even when there's heaps of evidence to the contrary.  Even then, he goes the extra mile to assert that any source he disagrees with is obviously biased and malicious.  It's a very blatant sort of circular reasoning.

Consider how he conflates "Women tend to avoid more dangerous jobs like mining and military stuff" (where they would be discriminated against due to the very real fact that many females are not as strong as males, or also the fact that women in the military tend to get raped and called crazy for speaking out against it.) with the more relatable and realistic examples of wage gaps existing at the same position within the same company.

Even then, if it comes down to "well for some reason women just choose to not get educated and they gleefully take jobs where they deserve to be treated and paid worse", you basically have to realize that unless you take into account the culture that promotes that sort of behavior, you've got nothing to fall back on outside of admitting you think women are strictly inferior to men.

Pre-emptive edit:  Kilroy if you're going to respond I'd appreciate it if you did so in your own words and not just linking a video or article for me to read that 'explains it all'.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:24:05 am by Capntastic »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:57:49 am »

On behalf of the 19th and 20th centuries, please stop posting this shit. On top of that, I just got a call from the 21st century. It wanted to me to tell you that you're no longer invited to its birthday party and that you're just going to have to find some new centuries to hang out with.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:42 am »

I realize that most of us are of a political persuasion to disagree with Kilroy on these posts, but that doesn't mean that he should stop posting them. This is a forum, after all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:46 am »

And forums generally do not take kindly to trolling, which this individual is engaging in. Posting one misguided political hot-button topic consisting of a link to a video about how feminists are evil without any substance/input of your own? Okay, everybody makes dumb mistakes. Posting two (edit: oops, make that... what - four?) within such a short span of time? I can only assume Kilroy is looking to get a rise out of forum patrons, given the fact that he is posting contentious material and then essentially failing to shepherd or put any meaningful input into the topics. The scarce replies he has made in his own topics have mainly consisted of links to more contentious material. There is no particular reason to treat this as anything but trolling, especially since this is a general discussion forum, not a political forum.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:49:30 am by Lord Dullard »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »

Hey hey! I just did a term paper on Affirmative Action! Why couldn't you make this video sooner, I might have actually put some effort into my paper then. Oh well, I'm satisfied with an 85%.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.