Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CARTS. CARTS EVERYWHERE.  (Read 1098 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
CARTS. CARTS EVERYWHERE.
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:37 pm »

I haven't played DF that much since .07, so I have no idea how carts work. However, after reading up I want to produce a defense comprised entirely of carts filled with various (possibly humorous) deadly objects, maybe a small militia just in case. I have no clue how to get them to even deploy, however, so I need to know the following things:

-How do I crash a cart in a way so that contents will fly out?
-How deadly is the cart itself if going at high speeds?
-Does type of item matter? As in, will loading a cart with 10x *Steel Battleaxe* do more than loading it with 10x *Steel throne* (Of course, assuming that both items had the same weight)
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CARTS. CARTS EVERYWHERE.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:53 pm »

The 34.08 only just came out. I suggest you follow some other threads which are examining these very same questions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42:10 pm »

I think the battleaxes might hit like if they were being attacked with, so they might be better. Don't quote me on that, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:50 am »

So far it seems that weapons will attack much like if they were wielded by a dwarf, though I haven't yet personally confirmed that. 

To get objects to fly from a minecart, crash one at high speed into a fortification.  It seems to be important that there be no ceiling over the last track tile, the fortification, and the target tile.  It may be important that the last track tile be two way, rather than an end tile, meaning it must be constructed rather than engraved.  Speed seems to be important.  No idea about minimum speeds or whether higher speeds will throw objects harder/further, but 5 rollers and 5 ramps is enough.  A cart load of boulders (about half a dozen) does not usually kill a pig first shot, though it sustains serious injuries (broken bones and bruised organs).  Directly ramming the target with the full cart can kill first shot, but does not always.  At least for boulders, direct ramming seems to be more effective than launched payload.