Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paranormal  (Read 1518 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paranormal
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:09 am »

If anyone out there follows PewDiePie on YouTube, you've probably already seen this. There aren't any threads for it at the moment, so I thought I would go ahead and make one.

Paranormal is an indie "haunting simulator." You enter a randomized haunted house with a flashlight and explore. That's really about it at the moment. Give it a play (or at least a watch).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:20:59 am »

JEREMY?! WHAT YOU DOIN?! BAD JEREMY!

Might be good for a spooky evening some night, when it's finished.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

Looks like a good game, but needs a better guy making the video.  It's like he wants to be Yogscast/Totalbiscuit/etc but he acts far too young to own a beard.

Regardless, the actual game looks pretty hot, I may actually have to turn off my sound, turn on the lights, and download this, because I'm a huge pussy when it comes to horror.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »

Yeah this looks cool, gonna give it a go later on once it's dark out for maximum scaryness.

I made it 30 seconds into that video before I had to turn it off though. Trying way too hard to be funny.

edit instead of double-post:

Just had a quick go of it. It's definatly got some potential, though at this stage it's not at all a game, or even a toy... More of just a audi-visiual slideshow I guess? It's nowhere near as scary as amnesia or SCP: Containment Breach, but I think that's mostly because the lack of any interaction between your character and the things going on. It's hard to be scared when you're just passively watching things falling over and the like. I went upstairs and as soon as I walked towards the hallway it moved me to some trophy shelf and I couldn't move, so I'm assuming that's the end of the thing? It's kinda cool how it uses the trophy shelf thing to keep track of what you've seen though.

I'm not sure how I feel about the camera moving all over the place constantly. It's a cool effect, but it just seems overused. I think I'd prefer it if it only started looking around when something scary was happening.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:15:19 pm by fenrif »