Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About to Embark in Haunted Biome  (Read 4049 times)

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About to Embark in Haunted Biome
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:18:00 am »

I'm about to embark in a haunted biome, just a quick question. What should I do with the caravan animals?

EDIT: Advice on last at least fifteen minutes next time?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:06:55 am by Urist McBeanie »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: About to Embark in Haunted Biome
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:21:28 am »

I'm about to embark in a haunted biome, just a quick question. What should I do with the caravan animals?

Drop them in a deep pit and cover it.

Or just butcher them all and die to some horse hair zombie.  Your choice :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:33 am »

Drop them in a deep pit and cover it.

Or just butcher them all and die to some horse hair zombie.  Your choice :)
Haha got it.

The God-Forsaken Heroic Bitches are off to construct the Fortress, Bitchycream! STRIKE THE EARTH!

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:53:56 am »

Attacked by Reindeer Bull and Wolf Corpses and abandoned after losing all but two, the leader escaped, leaving his left hand in the head of his friend, Lor Faththabum, now known as Zanegzokun or, Relicsiege.

Advice on last at least fifteen minutes next time? :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:06:39 am by Urist McBeanie »

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:12 am »

I usually channel in a circle around my wagon and destroy the upright ramps leading out of the pit. This way only some flying animals can get to your dwarves. Later on you can add a drawbridge.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:36 am »

I usually channel in a circle around my wagon and destroy the upright ramps leading out of the pit. This way only some flying animals can get to your dwarves. Later on you can add a drawbridge.

This is a very good start if you are in a reanimating biome. I follow this by building a wall over the pit to block sight so I don't get job cancel spam everytime they see something 'scary' while getting things set up at the start. Wood and stone are cheap at embark so bring enough to make an initial fortification. Also if you aren't overly fond of farming.. 1 or 2 egg layers can go a long way towards feeding your dorfs and if you skip the male you don't have to worry about chicksplosion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

Attacked by Reindeer Bull and Wolf Corpses

Lucky :(

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:33:30 pm »

I just started trying embarks in these Fun biomes. I find that taking some wood and/or stone blocks at embark for a quick wall, and 2 dwarves with mace or hammer skills and requisite armor help greatly in the initial season. Then dig down, make a stockpile and move underground while making the wall.

Im not the most experienced, just find that that setup helps survive a bit longer

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:39 pm »

1 or 2 egg layers can go a long way towards feeding your dorfs and if you skip the male you don't have to worry about chicksplosion.

chicksplosions can generally quite easily resolve themselves, if you just make sure to not have much room ^^

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »

If you make the nestboxes available to the dwarves, they'll grab the eggs long before they hatch. Getting chicks takes more work than not getting them.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

Definitely dig a channel immediately, then get underground (and below a hatch cover/behind a door) as fast as possible. You may have evaded the undead hordes but when/if the face melting rains and mists come you're stilled doomed without better shelter. I take my wagon animals inside with me until I know if the terrain reanimates or not, then butcher or turf them onto the surface depending on what happens. Just be careful they don't starve to death, reanimate and devour your succulent dwarves while you wait inside. :P

It's mostly not too bad once you get the startup routine down, as long as you don't encounter lots of flying enemies or evil weather early on. Just be extremely cautious with refuse and have a dwarf or two who know their way around a warhammer.