Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding towns/shops  (Read 910 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question regarding towns/shops
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:38:01 pm »

I am new to adventure mode and read on the wiki that shopkeepers can be found in towns. My worlds seem to be only populated by forts and hamlets. Do towns show up without enough time? I am sure its relevant so I'll say I am using version 0.34.07
Any suggestions or help would be fantastic! I've run into some large hamlets by the way, maybe with 20 buildings or more. Just nothing with any traders apparently. I read that they have signs and I've seen none. I saw a merchant but told me to see a shop keeper for trading.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:43:47 pm by Viking »

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding towns/shops
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »

ok first merchants dont trade
second when in travel mode is you press m it will change the map view now in my game i use a rtexture pack so usually a market is indicated by white rodes so use the signifigant building tracker to find some the only MAIN need you use them for is for food unless ur desperate for a new sword or anything armour XD any questions about adventure mode id be happy to answer

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »

Okay thanks. I'll keep that in mind although I'm not sure off hand what texture pack I am using. I would be using the traders perhaps for food yes lol. That definitely is my largest concern at the moment it would seem  :P Just to be clear, are you saying hamlets sometimes contain shop keepers?

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:56 pm »

I've yet to see any use with hamlets, ever (aside from murderous rampages). They do not contain shopkeepers, and they do not contain companions or loot. I would suggest generating a world and letting the history run to like 60 years or so. You should have some towns and stuff on the map by then. If you don't know how to already, you can shift+q to check out a map of your surrounding area, and see if any towns/fortresses/etc. are nearby.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »

Okay thanks. I'll keep that in mind although I'm not sure off hand what texture pack I am using. I would be using the traders perhaps for food yes lol. That definitely is my largest concern at the moment it would seem  :P Just to be clear, are you saying hamlets sometimes contain shop keepers?
That used to be my main concern until I found out how to butcher animals. Now, I don't see a use for shops anymore.
Iin my experience, hamlets rarely have shops, while towns always do.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »

Okay. I finally created a world with four towns! This feels like a greater victory than it actually is no doubt lol.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

How old is it?
Coz yeah, that plays a major part too, letting the civs develop.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »

MY IDEAL world is large with a short history with savagery at high and beasts at high then everything else is normal and i ALWAYS start by finding a vampire and showing him whos boss then drinking its blood so i no longer have to worry about food and water the only things iv not experinced yet are being a necromancer or slaying a megabeast although i am trying very hard to achieve said goals its near impossible considering that u can get one shot at any time haha

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

Just so you know, becoming a vampire locks your stats. You can still learn and level up your skills, and agility does get a boost from becoming a vampire, but your strength, agility, empathy and things like that will never go up again. I would suggest finding an evil area, killing a random undead creature, butcher it, and then wait for it's skin and hair to reanimate. Then just wrestle them until dusk.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »

Just so you know, becoming a vampire locks your stats.
If that's confirmed, that seems like the kind of thing that should be in the wiki. So far all I've read is raving about the benefits of it, no one mentions the cons.