Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for some !!FUN!!  (Read 479 times)

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for some !!FUN!!
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:06:31 pm »

My previous fortress was mostly the product of intense boredom; a terrifying embark in the middle of a desert, I thought fun would quickly claim me in the form of excreous ash, toxic rain and zombie invasions. Fast forward two years and the ash clouds have completely missed my fortess the 2 times they came, the rain appears to just be normal rain despite to separate evil biome and only 2 corpses shave ever reanimated leading to two dead marksdwarves (Giant Cockatiel in a stairway and they had no ammo) and a hunting dog that god bit in the head by a reanimated giant weasel. The fortress is now in a spiral due entirely to my own stupidity; I tried to purify the few ponds I had, and ended up making the storage pools to big and lost all of it to evaporation. Built a pump stack, had no river to power it and no wood for windmills, so I used manual power. After it was on for about a minute, "An ambush! Curse them!". I tried to seal the fort, but the goblins killed the 15 dwarves powering the stack and everyone in the caverns who were gathering wood/hunting. Oh, and the goblins used the pump pipes to get close enough to my fort to halt food production.

While there was great !!FUN!! to be had, I want more. Can someone give some world gen/embark recommendations for a truly terrifying experience? I want to be under assault at all times, killed as an eventuality; I'd rather not have another fort die late in the game due to boredom/FPS drop/bad early planning, I want to survive, but only just.