Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops  (Read 1697 times)

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshops
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

Is it possible to modify existing workshops?

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »

Yeah,adding new workshops needs new world, but modifying existing workshops is safe.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »

Some of them. Specifically, the soap maker's shop and the screw press can be modified endlessly (since they're just vanilla "custom" workshops), and reactions can be added to (but not removed from) the kiln, smelter, tanner's shop, kitchen, quern, millstone, still, and craftsdwarf's workshop.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »

Reading this thread, I initially thought this was a Custom Workshop request thread.

Not a bad idea, especially for those that don't know how to mod requesting shops to be modded in; just be certain to mention what version of DF and what mod you'd want it to be featured in.

An example of what I was thinking:
Game Version: DF 0.34.07
Mod: Vanilla (Just DF, no mods) and/or Deon's Wasteland Mod

Request:
Moisture Vaporator (3x3) -- Sorta like in Star Wars (actually, I've yet to see a Star Wars mod). Regardless of biome (even if there's salt water), provided you have buckets, can provide fresh water. Small chance of collecting various mushrooms that grow in/on it. Must be crafted out of 1 metal bar and 1 clear glass block. Can be used to purify salt water and murky water as well. Result of purification  from salt water is 1 salt block and 1 water bucket, and purifying murky water gives 1 clay block and 1 water bucket.

Another idea:

Manna Machine (3x3) - Similar to above, except allows your dwarves to brew mannah (or sun-chlorella algae) regardless of biome. Requires 1 metal bar and 1 clear glass block. Requires 1 bucket of fresh water to produce 1 bucket of algae. Resulting algae can be pressed into an algae cake (can be eaten raw or used as an ingredient). Would work wonders with the Vaporator Water Still.

EDIT:
Nevermind, found a Star Wars Mod. Seems like it was discontinued long ago.

Of course, what I had in mind about a dwarven vaporator is that it would operate more like a still (reason for the glass as well is to work like a magnifying glass to boil the water put inside it using sunlight).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:50:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »

Here are the workshop tokens for the raws:

CRAFTSMAN, KILN, QUERN, STILL, SMELTER, TANNER, MILLSTONE, KITCHEN
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »

Is it possible to modify existing workshops?
That depends on your definition of "existing"

If you meant "existing custom workshops", then yes.
If you meant "existing builtin workshops", then partially - if it's a workshop that accepts custom reactions at all (see above posts for a list), you can add new reactions to them and change the existing custom reactions that use them, but you cannot change the builtin jobs the game assigns to them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:13:24 pm »

Is there a particular detail that's stopping us from modding out the "hard-coded" or "semi-hard-coded" workshops (by removing them from the Dwarf Entity file) and then simply making custom workshop replicas with which we then can mod to our contentment? Is there some sort of reaction or action that is hard-coded to depend on one of these hard-coded workshops?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:39 pm »

The buildings themselves are located into the game's source code, so it's impossible to remove them and many of their reactions from a fortress entity. Some of the reactions (like the metal smelting ones) are listed as permitted_reactions in the dwarf entity, so I believe those can be removed and replaced, but otherwise they're fixed.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:26:38 am »

Is there a particular detail that's stopping us from modding out the "hard-coded" or "semi-hard-coded" workshops (by removing them from the Dwarf Entity file) and then simply making custom workshop replicas with which we then can mod to our contentment? Is there some sort of reaction or action that is hard-coded to depend on one of these hard-coded workshops?

If you want to go to the trouble you can recreate all the hard coded reactions and all them to custom workshop(s). You will need to keep 1 thing in mind... Moods. Moods ignore custom workshops and only use the hard coded ones. Since moods are hard coded there's no way to make them respect custom workshops.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:49:24 pm »

What would happen if you change the reaction_smelter and reaction_other reactions to use a custom building?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »

What would happen if you change the reaction_smelter and reaction_other reactions to use a custom building?
The smelter would be useless aside from being used to melt items. You'd still need a kiln to gather clay and to produce pearlash, and a kitchen for cooking. I think the tanner's shop would be useless, but it would still be buildable. Otherwise, you'd need to use the custom building to do some of the functions you moved those reactions over to. This wouldn't prevent you from building the normal buildings, though, even those that now have no function due to your meddling.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!