Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quantum Fortress [Succession Proposal]  (Read 4430 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Fortress [Succession Proposal]
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »

Aquifers are very useful if you know what you're doing with them.

(I do not know what I am doing with aquifers.)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:21 pm »

Okay, I spent some time tonight genning many worlds and finally settling on a site with four different biomes. None of them are particularly fascinating on their own, but we've got black sand desert, grassland, and woodlands, all untamed wilds. The area is 4x4, mostly pretty flat. No river (getting water will be a worthy challenge I think), no volcano (too difficult to deal with the cliffs), and no aquifer (I just don't want to deal with it, sorry). I've started a writeup for an official first post. I'm too tired to start tonight, but tomorrow I'll start up the actual gameplay thread complete with background, rules, turn list, and dwarf list for those who want to be dorfed, and I'll play through the first turn tomorrow afternoon (I have some free time and I think I can get through a year in one day).

Anyone want to add anything else before we get rolling?

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

Anyone want to add anything else before we get rolling?

just to restate that I want a turn and also I would like to be dorfed as Scientist, a doctor. (Basically the first useless dwarf we recruit to diagnose people or the first dwarf doctor insane enought to come to this location (which sounds awesome by the way (parentheses for the win!)))
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »

I wanna turn.  I'd like to be dwarfed as an engraver or craftsdwarf.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:30:36 pm »

I am excited for this fortress! Did you decide to make a new thread? if so, link it for us!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:52 am »

I will start a new thread pretty soon. Just a quick question - I've never had to set up a cistern before. Rainwater will be our only water source until the caverns are breached and I don't want to rush into that. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to set up a rainwater collection system? I believe I have to drain the pools into a containment area, then use a pump to put it into the actual cistern to remove the mud, right?

New first post will be up in a while, including details about the game and how it will be run, background, the start of my first turn, and info on all the dwarfs so people can claim the first few. I'll link to it from here as well once it gets started, and I'll add a turn list based on the posts in this thread.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:14 am »

I will start a new thread pretty soon. Just a quick question - I've never had to set up a cistern before. Rainwater will be our only water source until the caverns are breached and I don't want to rush into that. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how to set up a rainwater collection system? I believe I have to drain the pools into a containment area, then use a pump to put it into the actual cistern to remove the mud, right?

Never bothered doing this.  If you get a decent amount of rain that can actually fill a murky pool, then a hole below a pool leading to a containment area should drain the water, then you can keep it there or try to pump it somewhere else.  Also, all water causes mud, no matter what.  The only way to not get mud in a bucket is to have a well draw from a cistern more than 1 z level deep, in which case the top level won't have mud, only the bottom will.  Still, if you're draining from a murky pond, chances are more likely than not you'll get stagnant water, no matter what you do.

If you want cavern water, breach via a diagonal fortification into a small collection room.  Pump water out from here.  The pump should be 1 z level above the surface of the water, and draw from a single-tile hole into the collection room, and cover that room with a grate.  This will keep your fortress protected from anything in the caverns, while still allowing you to draw water, and the chances of stagnancy will be about nil (although really stagnancy isn't a big issue, people are just annoyed by seeing it).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »

Never bothered doing this.  If you get a decent amount of rain that can actually fill a murky pool, then a hole below a pool leading to a containment area should drain the water, then you can keep it there or try to pump it somewhere else.  Also, all water causes mud, no matter what.  The only way to not get mud in a bucket is to have a well draw from a cistern more than 1 z level deep, in which case the top level won't have mud, only the bottom will.  Still, if you're draining from a murky pond, chances are more likely than not you'll get stagnant water, no matter what you do.

If you want cavern water, breach via a diagonal fortification into a small collection room.  Pump water out from here.  The pump should be 1 z level above the surface of the water, and draw from a single-tile hole into the collection room, and cover that room with a grate.  This will keep your fortress protected from anything in the caverns, while still allowing you to draw water, and the chances of stagnancy will be about nil (although really stagnancy isn't a big issue, people are just annoyed by seeing it).

Building a well over a murky pool nets you fresh water. Draining a murky pool into a below ground tank will keep it from evaporating if it gets hot. Drop a well into it and you have fresh water.

For a cistern, dig out a room, that has never had contact with murky water. Pump murky water into it, and you get fresh. As soon as any murky water contacts the pool the whole thing gets contaminated. So, it's best to separate by some distance, or z-levels.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »

One last sugggestion I have is that after we have gotten a multiverse going, anyone who wants to be dorfed should be able to choose which universes they are dorfed in. It might be cool to have a super soldier that defends some universes, while in the other ones he never showed up. (or got killed)
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:22 pm »

Hey could I get a turn and a dorf? Hammer dwarf, (not hammerer) general if not taken.
EDIT: Actualy i will dorf myself on my turn.

On the topic of differences in the universes: the game randomly choses migrants and what artifacts are made by moods on a case by case basis. So there is going to be more differences than simple player decisions.

Any rules on what we CANT do?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:24:02 pm by ninjanomnom »

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »

I'd be interested in participating =D
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:22 am »

Sorry, got sidetracked yesterday. Going to work in a few minutes, but when I get home this afternoon I expect to be free for dwarven shenanigans!

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »

When is the expected time we start playing?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Pages: 1 [2]