Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greatest successses/fails in roguelikes  (Read 4044 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Greatest successses/fails in roguelikes
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

Hey people, I want to hear you accomplishments and failures which had occurred whilst you were playing a roguelike. I want to hear moments that made you feel like you bought skittles and found out there were no red ones which meant there was no rainbow and moments that made you grin like a pedophile in a park on a hot day, I'll start:
Whilst playing as a wizard I come across a uruk-hai, I forgot to wield my staff and started attacking it mindlessly. After about 3 turns of throwing punches and receiving stab wounds I had pummeled it to death. This has to be my biggest achievement on NetHack since I have no idea what it is and I don't plan on finding out just in case its a limbless rabbit or butterfly. My fail, however is much more interesting. I found a glass wand, determined to find out the effects I zapped a nearby wall. Ever since then I have been blinded by such beauty, lightening is so amazing! :)
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest successses/fails in roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »

Nethack. Died by kicking the wall to often. (I think). Also by being eaten by a grue and digging straight down.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:36 pm »

Each and every time I get that second level of alienist in Incursion. The feeling that comes when a fully buffed animal companion night hunter (read: giant bat) kicks the ever-loving out of an adult dragon. That time I beat a crab demon to death with my bare hands while climbing on the ceiling as a priest/barb. Any orc that gens with disease immunity -- eat them up yum yum. High luck halfling warrior slingers critting everything to death. A dual-wield spiked chain build once it gets off the ground.

The rolling series of nerfs I helped inflict on Temporal Wardens in T4 -- it started when I got less than 0% movespeed and broke the game. Same character had >800 combined stats (For comparison, the highest you can get without kit or talents effecting anything is ~360.). It was great <3

Killing morgoth from around the corner in Furyband. Phase storm love.

The time I got one-shot four or so steps into the only corridor of the first dungeon I entered in ADOM by an acid trap.

The time I got instakilled in crawl after opening the only door leading away from the entrance. Exploding darts will forever be crawldev's primary means of trolling the occasional starting caster.

Getting ahold of a blaster bomb in X@COM. Nothing more needs be said.

The list rolls on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »

My greatest success and my greatest fail happen to be the same play through of nethack.  It was my most perfect game ever as the wizard class.  I had everything, fantastic armor, incredible health, great stats , regeneration, tools for pretty much every situation.  Nothing could hurt me.  I was going through the elemental planes for the first time, and it was going fine until I got to the plane of air. 

Turns out I had pretty much every conceivable tool EXCEPT a way to levitate.  The only way I could propel myself through the sans-gravity environment was to shoot wands in the opposite direction.  This was inaccurate at best. 

Pretty soon I was covered in a mass of angels, air elementals and dust vortexes, preventing me from going anywhere.  I was practically a god so they couldn't actually hurt me, but I couldn't kill them fast enough to be able to move.  And then I noticed something.

I was running low on food.

Unable to move and unable to die, starvation was my only fate.  I couldn't stand seeing my character die in such a lowly fashion, so I took the honorable way out.

#quit
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »

ADOM: playing a wizard, finally had tons of spells and was getting a to be a decently high level and some nice artifacts.  Continual titans strength (or wahtever it is called) so that i could carry the 30000+ pounds of gear i hauled around.  Got to a river with no way around it (and no teleport yet) and realised that I need to be build a bridge to cross it, as ice bridges created by cold spells can only hold 2000 pounds. 

While chopping down trees I get spammed witih the message "You feel your great strength begin to wane" or some such, indicating that my titans strength spell was about to end.  I was like "that's okay, I dont need to move until after i chop this tree down" because casting titans strength again would mean having to restart chopping the tree.

Instantly crushed to a pulp by my luggage.  There goes the best wizard and furthest character I ever got in adom.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:00 pm »

Getting to the Quest in Nethack for the first time, with what I thought was a pretty decent character.  Backing up my save, which I almost never ever do.  Dying horribly...then deciding "what the heck, I'll try it again".  Dying about ten times without a single chance before giving up, and realizing that all my cheating had made me totally uninterested in the game despite my awesome character.

I hate the Quest.  (Don't remember what class it was)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »

Playing Incursion with a Cleaver Monk, got to the final dungeon level, and got distracted by a side-cavern.. Ends up, there was a Frosty Adult Dragon right around the corner from me. Cue intensely epic battle. I won, luckily [good thing monks are OP!] and ate the hell out of it's delicious, scaly flesh.

Then I remembered I'm on the last level and have to deal with that damn King. I manage to find the palace, and when I'm in the courtyard it appears the Goblins and Orcs have been breeding very vigorously, since just about every single tile inside the walls was an enemy. Not to mention some extra-tough Orcs mixed in. Did I mention mages of many sorts?

Skip to about ten minutes later, I've been killing Goblin after Goblin, usually taking 2 or 3 out with each attack. They just kept coming though, and I was a bit hurt from the Dragon battle right before.. Needless to say, I didn't even make it inside the Castle. I remember my kill list was rather insane, though. The best loss I've ever had in a roguelike, hands down.

I love Incursion. Monks always have the most badass names, too. Flawless Grace was a good name for this man [well, Lizard].
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:57 am »

The download for Incursion isn't working  :'( Oh well, anyways back to failing. I started a new game on NetHack as a wizard and I had pretty decent stuff, the first thing I see right after I start the game is 'Be careful! New moon tonight.' Obviously, I do not appear to be offering my fecal matter. The room is dark and there's money and a potion, I walk around to find an exit and my kitten attacks and kills me. Think about it, if you read an epitaph you'd want to see something like 'Died fighting a 1,000,000 orcs' or 'Had his head exploded by a wizard after slaying a dragon' not killed by his kitten.
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:19 am »

Check the incursion thread here on b12, there's an updated link on the last page or two. This message.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:43 am »

In Nethack I died after making it very far into the dungeon...
From a broken leg from kicking at a door.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:46 am »

In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, I autoexplored into a diagonal tile and couldn't remember how to move diagonally. I died.

In Angband, I walked downstairs and was killed by the first thing I saw. There goes Aragorn Jr. McHalfelven.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

In Brogue, I fell down a pit trap into a level with an enemy who was new to me, the zombie. And to my right was a pile of 5 or so sleeping monkeys.

Zombies walk around a level with a cloud of putrid gases surrounding them. So the zombie sees me and starts shambling over, and I kept my distance at first, not knowing what they were capable of. Well, I ended up waking the monkeys. I decided to throw a fireball or two at the zombie, then find somewhere I can bottleneck the monkeys into.

The zombie caught fire, also burning the gases around him, creating a 5 square radius of fiery death. The monkeys tried to get past him to get to me, but quickly all became ashes, including the zombie.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:04 pm »

Worst fail ever was a splat in nethack, and took place quite a long time ago.

My valkyrie has acquired all she needed (the Amulet of Yendor included). Then the wizard appears, and I fail to kill him on time. Hall was full of his cronies and battlespam.

I inadvertently ignored the "You are turning to stone" messages. So ended my life as a valkyrie.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »

Greatest failures:

- NetHack: I died on the Astral Plane once.
- Dungeon Crawl: During my 1st game online I managed to get near the end of a Ziggurat. I died on a draconian level, because I forgot I had Revivification.
- Dungeon Crawl: I died trying to grab the Orb with a level 14 SpEn. It would've been my fastest win.
- ToME4: Died in the final battle, due to blindness. I had an amulet that gave 100% protection against blindness in my inventory.

Achievements:

- I've beaten NetHack a few times.
- I've beaten Dungeon Crawl over 27 times.
- I've beaten ToME4 a few times on the roguelike setting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

I died on the Astral Plane, in the broken doorway to the altar room, trapped between two Angels of Moloch with various priests hitting me from the corners.  In case you didn't know, you can't move diagonally out of a doorway in Nethack so I had to kill the Angels while 6 enemies were beating on me every turn.  I died with a partially opened tin of nurse meat in my hands.
Shoes...