Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shameful Display!  (Read 4396 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Shameful Display!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

You've obviously had a lot more experience at directing moody Dwarves than I have had.   I would never have dreamed of forbidding some material that was already gathered, for fear the moody Dwarf would then go insane.  I always use the Stone screen to keep shops from using special stone for tables, etc.  I don't control manufacturing by forbidding stones en masse from the Stock screens because then they won't get dumped, and anything made of that stone becomes forbidden.  I expected that to work for artifacts and when it did not, I gave up trying to control moody Dwarves.  Good work on your part to have learned so much about that aspect.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »

I would never have dreamed of forbidding some material that was already gathered, for fear the moody Dwarf would then go insane.
Rule of thumb for me is to forbid a material, unpause the game, wait 3-5 seconds, pause and see if the mooder stays in the shop screaming for materials or just goes about collecting the rest of unforbidden materials.

I always use the Stone screen to keep shops from using special stone for tables, etc.  I don't control manufacturing by forbidding stones en masse from the Stock screens because then they won't get dumped, and anything made of that stone becomes forbidden. 
Since I stop every industry when a mood is happening and then inmediately unforbid everything afterwards I usually dont run into this problem, but the stocks screen or a simple [k] inspection makes it simple to track down a problem with a workshop. Granted I dont use the manager much other than to set workshop profiles so when I get a message of "Urish Mc Leatherworker cancels Make Tiger Shark Loincloth: Workplace innacessible" I usually know where to look.

I expected that to work for artifacts and when it did not, I gave up trying to control moody Dwarves.  Good work on your part to have learned so much about that aspect.
Nah, Im just autistic when it comes to artifacts because Im always imagining something cool and want to make sure it looks like I want it to. Like instead of using boring llama bone, I want my legendary steel axe to be encrusted with forgotten beast bones that the owner slayed. But thanks for the praise.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »

I think the only thing you have to be cautious of is accidentally forbidding the claimed workshop by forbidding all of the stones of that type, otherwise it's fairly safe.  I've repeatedly forbidden unwanted items in the hands of the moody dwarf as she carried it back to the workshop, and there were no problems.  You also might want to be careful unforbidding stuff again afterwards as it's easy to get carried away hitting 'f' in the stocks screen and forbid the materials that the moody dwarf is currently using..

Personally I only do it for artifacts that might end up being useful, like a Mason mood or a Weaponsmith mood.  Crafters, clothiers etc can make what they want as it'll just be left in a stockpile in the bottom of the fortress anyway.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 [2]