Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Virtual Villagers  (Read 2196 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Virtual Villagers
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:49:36 am »

This was recently recommended in the Know of any games similar to Dwarf Fortress that aren't quite so complex? thread. I have always seen them but haven't played them. Are they any good?

The only place online that I could find them for download for the PC is from Amazon. They are all $6.99 except for Secret City which is $3.50. I couldn't find them anywhere else. Are they available any where else?

Virtual Villagers

Virtual Villagers - New Believers

Virtual Villagers - The Secret City
Virtual Villagers 4: The Tree of Life
Virtual Villagers 2

Is one of them better than the others?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Villagers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:41 am »

I remeber playing VV4, and its a literal RTS game. As in, you can drag the villagers about to get them to do things, but you won't see any significant progress in 5 minutes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:12:15 am »

I have payed a couple of them, they are OK kinda and I would consider the "casual" games. The gist is that these little people have a life and personality of their own, sims kinda. But the gameplay is more puzzle-like in that you try to unlock certain features of their island by finding and combining items and interacting with the villagers, items, and the un-lockable thing.

Dont know which is considered best, but they are usually offered at Bg Fish games and you can get any of them today for $2.99:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/7927/virtual-villagers-4-the-tree-of-life/index.html?channel=sem&identifier=usgooglsslvirvil&WT.srch=1&v1=7688679742&v2=virtual%20villagers&v3=e&v6=g&v7=&gclid=CLfKhIfB5K8CFSo0QgodkEoL_Q

I got nothing

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

Thanks. I just picked up Virtual Villagers 4: Tree of Life for $2.99. I figured at that price I could try it out.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »

I tried to like these games but I gave up. The game is real-time, so if you forget about your damn villagers for a day or two they all starve to death and it's game over. I don't want to have to write "play virtual villagers" on the calendar or set an alarm to remind myself to play to keep from getting a game over. ><

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:11 pm »

The first few days are difficult about that. Once you get a stable food and water supply going, though, the villagers will be able to fend for themselves.
Nothing important here, move along.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:50 pm »

Well. If you are looking for RTS Games, this is not the way to go.

Virtual Villagers is real time so you have to keep your supplies up otherwise people will starve, and things also takes time to get built/done.
There are a lot of similar games that are clones of this one, not really worth mentioning as they are obvious ripoffs.
IIRC, it's a couple that develop the games, the guy does the programming and the lady does the art. Not sure though.

I didn't like it because I was looking for a less-casual-survival-game, but it's enjoyable for casual gaming.
However, I liked a lot and had fun with Virtual Families, for casual gaming etc. Not sure if it had a sequel.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

Well. If you are looking for RTS Games, this is not the way to go.

Virtual Villagers is real time so you have to keep your supplies up otherwise people will starve, and things also takes time to get built/done.
There are a lot of similar games that are clones of this one, not really worth mentioning as they are obvious ripoffs.
IIRC, it's a couple that develop the games, the guy does the programming and the lady does the art. Not sure though.

I didn't like it because I was looking for a less-casual-survival-game, but it's enjoyable for casual gaming.
However, I liked a lot and had fun with Virtual Families, for casual gaming etc. Not sure if it had a sequel.

yup, husband and wife team.
http://www.virtualfamilies.com/aboutus/index.html
I got nothing

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »

Not a big fan of RTS. Are these considered that? 

I have enjoyed the one Virtual Villagers I have been playing for the last few days. It just runs in the background and I check into every once in a while. The puzzles are somewhat difficult and I have had to cheat using websites to tell me what to do. I really don't know if it would be possible to figure them all out without cheating. And that is my biggest disappointment in the game. I hate having to look at a website to see how to do something (except in Dwarf Fortress, of course).

I also think if my people all died of hunger tonight when I am sleeping that I would not start a new game.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:43 pm »

These are't RTS'es as far as I'm concerned. I think of them as more small scale city management games, ya know like a tribal managment genre. Not all the scope of a city building game, some more detail, and a slightly closer connection to your citizens.

I still hate this game. There is a market for them though, mostly among children who can't handle a real city builder, or people who are casual gamers and don't want to put the effort into a real city builder.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »

Is Cities XL any good? I haven't played a good city builder in years. Last one I enjoyed was Sim City 3.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:37 pm »

Is Cities XL any good? I haven't played a good city builder in years. Last one I enjoyed was Sim City 3.
Why didn't you like # 4?

If you like city builders try Anno Domini 2070, it was my favorite and kept me very entertained for like a month.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »

Well, I didn't play 4 with the Rush Hour expansion, so that might have changed everything. It just felt unfinished. And it probably was so that EA could sell the expansion.

I have Anno Dominio 2070 on my buy list. I guess I should move it up. Hopefully someone puts it on sale soon. I'm now a discount gamer.