Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ‼SCIENCE‼ of ‼cages‼  (Read 1757 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
‼SCIENCE‼ of ‼cages‼
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:17 pm »

Or rather:

Testing in 34.07 with cages and magma proves that cages do not protect against heat. Animals that were in a magma-proof cage still had their fat melted etc. by the heat and died. Animals that were in a wooden cage were released when their cage was destroyed, and then also died.

Cages do protect against drowning, however.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: ‼SCIENCE‼ of ‼cages‼
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:11 pm »

Good to know. Do you know if items function as normal if they are in cages? For example could I melt a goblin in magma and all that would be left would be his iron stuff? If so this could help with siege disposal immensely.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:08 pm »

Whats the easiest or fastest or most efficient method to submerge these cages then retrieve them?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »

Makes perfect sense to me. It's a cage; not a sealed box box so the magma can get inside the cage. And even if it was a box, it would still become hot inside, effectively turning it into an oven.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:26 pm »

Makes perfect sense to me. It's a cage; not a sealed box box so the magma can get inside the cage. And even if it was a box, it would still become hot inside, effectively turning it into an oven.

It is a sealed box, since they don't drown.

Good to know. Do you know if items function as normal if they are in cages? For example could I melt a goblin in magma and all that would be left would be his iron stuff? If so this could help with siege disposal immensely.

Tested this by coaxing a dwarf miner (carrying a iron pick) into a iron cage by means of a floor hatch and 2z drop. I verifed that the pick was still in the cage, in his hand before I tossed it into a shallow magma pool that I dug out earlier. He bled to death from fat melting in the cage. His body stayed in the cage, whereas items appeared just outside it. The iron pick was unharmed and sitting on the ground outside the cage (but lying in magma).

If your cage wasn't magma safe, the goblin would be released into the magma, which would still kill it, so all that means is the loss of a cage. Your magma disposal chamber should try to minimize items being pushed around by magma, since that can cause them to disappear due to a bug. They can still be found after this bug using the stocks menu, though.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:10:09 am »

It is a sealed box, since they don't drown.

Then there's still the oven theory.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:15:39 am »

I usually use terreriums, since they are cheap (free) to produce.

I usually biuld them on a greenglass block platform overhanging the mouth of the volcano, held up by a single support, and reached with a bridge.

I used the d,b,d method to relieve the goblins of their goblinite, raise the bridge, then pull the lever.

Byebye goblins.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:11 am »

I usually use terreriums, since they are cheap (free) to produce.

I usually biuld them on a greenglass block platform overhanging the mouth of the volcano, held up by a single support, and reached with a bridge.

I used the d,b,d method to relieve the goblins of their goblinite, raise the bridge, then pull the lever.

Byebye goblins.

While dwarfy, it would be easier to use a goblin-only animal stockpile, or directly dump the cages, or use a pit zone...
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.