Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finally - no more Mica Thrones encrusted with Diamonds - I hope...  (Read 4416 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Finally - no more Mica Thrones encrusted with Diamonds - I hope...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:41 pm »

Craftsdwarves are a pain to be sure. Even burrows don't stop them from wandering where they please for materials.

I guess the only way to be sure is to place your craftsdwarf into a squad, order the squad to the workshop, wall squad and workshop in with the stuff (and only the stuff) you want used, and only then let the magic happen.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:56:38 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 10:39:37 pm »

you basically have to baby sit them.  Even if you've got 10 different things to decorate, they'll always decorate the shit out of just one item, so you have to forbid them as you go.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 11:26:12 pm »

I think that's because they choose the closest item, and the newly decorated crafts usually get put back in the open space in the stockpile they came from, leading to one item usually being the closest one.  Now that we can set workshops to output to a specific stockpile, we can have the jeweler shop output to a stockpile further away than its input pile.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 12:11:13 am »

I get it now, worthless stone made with valuables.

1. Dwarf has a candy battle axe in front of it, two tiles away. Is told to encrust it with diamonds.
2. There's a mica throne 1 tile away, below it.
3. It chooses to spend a century acquiring the mica throne, to stud it with diamonds.
4. The potential value from the diamonds is almost entirely destroyed.
5. Diamonds are rare. Never seen a single one before.

Diamonds are easy to get if you know where to look; you can get dozens in a season if you order them from dwarf caravans and mine out every kimberlite vein you come across.

Also I haven't seen dwarves encrust weapons or armor in a long time- will they still even do it? I think they'll only do craft items now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:16:47 am by Niyazov »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:46 am »

Pfff...

I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Want to make high value or decorate high value items?

1: Make a special room with stockpiles of high value rock, metal and gems.
2: Make stock piles for masterwork only crafts, weps and armor.
3: Set workshops to Legendary only...
4: Lure in Legendary working, lock door behind him.

CONGRATS!
Now he will ONLY use the highvalue items locked into the room!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:56 am »

Everyone's happy that we'll have an automated system that'll allow us to set specific items to be decorated  without a portion of micromanage.

No steps 1, 2 and 10, just step 1.

Congrats! Missing the point! >:£

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 09:42:58 am »

Everyone's happy that we'll have an automated system that'll allow us to set specific items to be decorated  without a portion of micromanage.

No steps 1, 2 and 10, just step 1.

Congrats! Missing the point! >:£
+1
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:49 am »

04/29/2012  Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles. You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles. You can use this to set specific materials for jobs in a roundabout way, for example, until we get around to doing that properly. If a stockpile is set to distribute the same kind of objects to multiple piles, it'll try to keep the piles even. It works well for items like stone and furniture, but it's a harder problem when bins become involved.

Praise Armok, my prayers have been answered. Now the economy will be a lot easier to handle, and it will be easier to keep order in the Piles of Crafts and Goods my little drunken Imps are producing. It will be interesting to see Urist McIdoasIplease to work his way around this one.

I'm really looking forward to this update - less stress more time for FUN!!!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:48 am »

Cue merciless micromanagement: forbid everything except the diamonds and the candy battle axe, then order Encrust with diamonds.
Now how's that for the iron fist of the government? :P

This, of course, will cause everything else in the entire fort to grind to a screeching halt, not to mention being immensely tedious.

I wish there was a way to set a workshop to work on specific ☼quality☼ and type of items only, or even a specific item. As cool as the idea of a *«large mudstone pot»* might seem to a dwarf, that was really not what I wanted to use those rubies for...

(I've never even seen a single diamond in-game, ever.)

[big damn edit: Turns out there will be, albeit in a roundabout way.]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:42:59 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:35 am »

I wish there was a way to set a workshop to work on specific ☼quality☼ and type of items only, o

as the post above yours quoted, we now can, since you can specify the quality on stockpiles.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:01 am »

Cue merciless micromanagement: forbid everything except the diamonds and the candy battle axe, then order Encrust with diamonds.
Now how's that for the iron fist of the government? :P

This, of course, will cause everything else in the entire fort to grind to a screeching halt, not to mention being immensely tedious.

I wish there was a way to set a workshop to work on specific ☼quality☼ and type of items only, or even a specific item. As cool as the idea of a *«large mudstone pot»* might seem to a dwarf, that was really not what I wanted to use those rubies for...

(I've never even seen a single diamond in-game, ever.)

[big damn edit: Turns out there will be, albeit in a roundabout way.]

Well if your encrusting Candy with Diamonds, the Fortress should halt - in a moment of bliss for such a great union made possible. The Craftsdwarf making the Item should become a Lord of Craft if successful!

...and burned alive after being beaten senseless and having his limbs torn of by the local Megabeast, if wasting those precious things!!!

And by the Way you can partly manage quality output by designating only "good" dwarfs to the Workshop / setting the workshop min skill-level...
Pages: 1 [2]