Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: campfires  (Read 1303 times)

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
campfires
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »

I got a quest to kill a harpy, however when I got to the lair it wasn't there. So because there was undead left and right, I made a campfire blocking the entrance and slept, blocking myself (and my companions) in. Now the fires not going out and it's been a couple days. Is there any way to put out a campfire?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: campfires
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »

I've seen it said how subterranean fires will not extinguish... ever...  This might be your problem.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:18:34 am »

times like this make me think an alt move command for campfires might be nice. So what, you get burned a bit, better than eaten alive by zombies or stuck in a cave forever.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:53:57 am »

Or a new piece of portable equipment, which is a barrier (to at least vision) and/or something noise-making on passing through, like bells and a tripwire, so as to wake you up.  Deploy it(/them) in a strategic position for the night, reacquire in the morning.

With enough, you could make something like a stockade/perimeter alarm in even an open area...

(Mind you, I always wanted to be able to make a cairn with the copious rocks one can pick up.  A basic dry-stone wall construction could follow from this, also...  Not as good as a fortress-style Constructed wall, but could still mitigate trivial attempts to wander past a certain tile...)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:21 am »

times like this make me think an alt move command for campfires might be nice. So what, you get burned a bit, better than eaten alive by zombies or stuck in a cave forever.

Or just kill the fire my spreding out the timber/pouring water on it :/

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

Or both the move and the extinguish command.
Aside from the never going out bug the lack of being able to interact with it after it's lit seems like a fairly major oversight.

Also and this is tangentially related there needs to be a "I Said Wait Anyway Damnit" command.

I've aborted and savescummed games in frustration after putting up a ring of fires to keep boogeymen out and then being stuck pressing . for the next 45 minutes real time to make time pass.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:55:53 am »

Campfires can be lit without fuel now because their only function is melting ice, really.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:28:39 am »

Campfires can be lit without fuel now because their only function is melting ice, really.

I was using them to stop an ambush- but what made it more frustrating was that my companions who were also trapped inside with me, left and killed the harpy that I was supposed to. Did they all just jump over?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »

I just want a way OUT of the fire after I accidentally light one in the tile I'm standing in.

Yeah, I know.  Noob mistake.  It was my first adventurer, and he melted and bled to death because he was stuck in his campire.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"