Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beasts and Masons.  (Read 1060 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten beasts and Masons.
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »

Just now I was attacked by a giant FB, a giant humanoid with mandibles and made of fire. It ripped apart the 2nd level of the caverns destroying all it came across and evaporating any water it touched, so I turned on all alerts and activated the military.

I am watching this beast rampage in the caves and as it comes up to my defenses (which were wofully unprepared for a FB made of FIRE!) I notice that my forts ENTIRE POPULATION had crowded the Marks Dwarfs away from the fortifications (I guess they really wanted to see what it was). In a panic I start trying to get all the unarmed civilians out of the way from this burning monster that is setting everything on fire when...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the crisis was averted.

Who woulda thunk it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Forgotten beasts and Masons.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:41 pm »

On the brighter side (get it?), crossbows are the preferred option of engaging combat against forgotten beasts composed of flame.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »

You might want to check what burrows your civvies go to in an emergency - by the sounds of it your emergenc bunker burrow includes the defence fortifications, which would have been an absolute disaster bloody hilarious if that forgotten beast had had fire breath, since they now don't need to able to path in order to use it...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

i had a civilian with a crossbow killed by the paralyzing gas for a grime forgotten beast.  He shot it a few times but it didn't die.  I'm kind of worried that unlike fire or such, the shields and skills of my melee dwarves won't protect them from the paralyzing gas.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »

i had a civilian with a crossbow killed by the paralyzing gas for a grime forgotten beast.  He shot it a few times but it didn't die.  I'm kind of worried that unlike fire or such, the shields and skills of my melee dwarves won't protect them from the paralyzing gas.

Engage it in a lake/flooded section.