Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More RTS-like Mouse Control?  (Read 1428 times)

More RTS-like Mouse Control?
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:40:47 am »

I was looking around for tools/options to use the mouse for more stuff. Not sure if the mouse option in the ini settings will change anything. Currently, the only mouse control that I've seen is Looking/Designating things allows you to right-click to place the target cursor, and the mouse wheel zooms in/out.

I was hoping I could find something more robust to allow using the mouse in menus like the Trade prompt or allocating units to the militia, etc. Things that currently are annoyingly time consuming because you have to scroll through them (sometimes with different keys, too, which I know I've bitched about before XD) one at a time and all that.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: More RTS-like Mouse Control?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:33:11 am »

Currently, mouse support is incredibly limited. Really, DF's biggest flaw might well be it's User interface. Though after a while, you do get used to it. Lots of time.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:56:22 am »

For some reason, when stuff like this comes up I always think about Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
It is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of [their products] by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:13:20 am »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:37 am »

Mouse Fortress is pretty good, too bad I discovered it after I got used to the keyboard =P
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:05:01 am »

Currently, mouse support is incredibly limited. Really, DF's biggest flaw might well be it's User interface. Though after a while, you do get used to it. Lots of time.

I think it's one of the most recognizable thing in DF. I mean, if UI would be more friendly, we would've had more trolls and noobs on forums, people building marble phalli on every map for no reason and crying when they get attacked by kobolds in the middle of the work. And that way, there's just me here, so I guess it's lesser evil.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:43 am »

people building marble phalli on every map for no reason

There can only be one Girlinhat.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:16:49 am »

mouse control sucks and we don't need it.  putting one hand on the mouse takes away that hand from the keyboard.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:12 am »

mouse control sucks and we don't need it.  putting one hand on the mouse takes away that hand from the keyboard.

One hand on the mouse is worth two on the keyboard in a strategy game. ;)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:51:26 am »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:00:08 am »

Nah, Girlinhat casts them out of obsidian. Then she smooths them and engraves them full of pictures of long, smooth, undulating, web-shooting FBs.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:05:02 am »

likes men for their reproduction devices and forgotten beasts for their smoothness

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

Hello!

One hand on the mouse is worth two on the keyboard in a strategy game. ;)

This depends on both the game and the player. So, it is rather pointless for either side to argue for superiority. Personally, I prefer DF to be completely keyboard driven (I actually deactivate the mouse support in the init file), even though I am more than happy to play SimCity or SimuTrans using the mouse.

Anyhow, I am glad to hear that you seem to have found a tool that allows you to enjoy DF the way you prefer.

Yours,
Deathworks