Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: <Dwarf> cancels store item in stockpile: item inaccessible - Help!  (Read 4578 times)

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So yeah, I've got an inaccessible item which is now being spammed across my reports. I don't know where it is and what it is, so can't do much about it.

Is there any way to locate the item myself, or a way to find out what the dwarves believe are blocking the item?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:01:20 am by EpsilonSigma »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: <Dwarf> cancels store item in stockpile: item inaccessible - Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

Forbid everything. Unforbid everything. If that doesn't work, kill the Dwarf.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:43:49 am »

I've had the same problem with a massively injured dwarf, after he was done being treated in the hospital. Didn't get to fix it, as I rather put him out in the woods to die to an ambush to stop the spam.

Of course, his friends didn't like that very much.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:14:48 am »

Try exploring the caverns you've breached already. After a while, the announcements will stop, because then you've found the dead body (the result of a fight between an underground cave civilization and some underground wildlife).

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:30:44 pm »

Firstly, it's about 5 of my dwarves, two of which are legendary miners who ignore my request to stop hauling things around even if I use Dwarf Therapist.

I've searched the cavern for everything, build stairs down into a chasm, and found nothing. I had a fight with around 14 crundles, but I only sustained a broken arm and some light bruising, and all the crundles were taken to the surface pretty much immediately.

Forbidding things worked, but when I allowed the again, they just went back to error messages.

One thing I did notice though was stone on a down stairway (D -> J), the result of blocking a forbidden beast from attacking my dining hall. There's so much stone around that I have no idea if it might just be that!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

1. What is the exact message (you can copy it from the gamelog text file)?

2. I had something like this happen when I put a dwarf in a burrow. He kept trying to haul an item that was outside the burrow, and then cancelling because it was inaccessible (to him only).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:54:27 pm »

if you use burrows, a dwarf may have had a drink but can't find a place in the burrow to get rid of the barrel/pot

or just in any case that a dwarf carries a thing and can't see where to deposit in the burrow
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:43 pm »

I do have 2 burrows, but one is ready for emergency evacuation and the other is simply a marker to switch down the 91 Z-Levels to my cavern network thing. I have not assigned anyone to them.

Here an extract from the gamelog.txt:
Solon Thortithzulban, Metalsmith cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
The weather has cleared.
Solon Thortithzulban, Metalsmith cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Nomal Sibrekneb‚l, militia captain cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
B‰mbul Gebonol, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Nomal Sibrekneb‚l, militia captain cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Kulet Logemlisat, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Kulet Logemlisat, Peasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Aban Tekkudl–rit, militia commander cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Vucar Mosuszoz, sheriff cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Aban Tekkudl–rit, militia commander cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
—shrir Zulbankikrost, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Oddom SokanzuntŒr, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Tun Ardes—shrir, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Oddom SokanzuntŒr, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Sarvesh OkolŠrith, Stoneworker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Sarvesh OkolŠrith, Stoneworker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
x2
Udil Onol‹lon, broker cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.

As you can see it's fairly repetitive, and includes a fair few dwarves. The problem is that Item isn't defined anywhere.

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »

Okay, I managed to get a peek at the job list before the dwarves cancelled the task:
"Refuse Stockpile #17"

That narrowed it down a little, and then I saw this:

That is my goblin and other enemy drowning mechanism, which appears to have a couple of rotten dingoes and a badger in it, one stuck in the floodgate so it won't close. The dwarves identify the fact that the water is 7/7, and so won't pass through the door since they're not good enough swimmers, and it you look at the right hand image part it's attached to a river, which I can't block.

Any ideas? :S

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:13 pm »

Forbid the corpses to stop the spam; then drain the area as you normally would and repair the floodgates.

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »

Draining the area would work since I have a sizeable area of soil below where it just evaporates away. However, that relies on a finite source of water in the system (ie floodgate closed).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »

I'm wondering why that gives error spam. Normally this message only occurs when items can path to a dwarf but not vice versa, and the only reasons for this I  can think of are burrows, unrevealed tiles, or (assumably) a missing [CANOPENDOORS] tag. And there are explicit code-arounds for burrows. Also the water can't be the reason, because my axedwarves launch unforbidden body parts into my pools all the time and it doesn't generate spam.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:47:35 am »

Draining the area would work since I have a sizeable area of soil below where it just evaporates away. However, that relies on a finite source of water in the system (ie floodgate closed).

If you channel a hole in the floor from below, you could get enough drainage to suck the badger out of the floodgate and permit closing.

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 04:41:35 am »

An additional floodgate later I've managed to make a wall into the side of the floodgate into a small room underneath, which did indeed suck out the badger, as well as 3 dingoes and some forgotten beast blood.

All working again now! Thanks for the help everyone  :D