Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Protecting Livestock and Floor grates  (Read 4665 times)

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting Livestock and Floor grates
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »

It takes N^2 stones to build floors and grates over a square area of length N, whereas it only takes 4N+4 stones to build a wall around the same space. So it takes more time and material to make a system that might not work, when a wall is a known solution. You will rarely need a roof to protect your grazing animals.

Channeling a moat or removing up ramps from the base of a hill are essentially free.

Sorry Urist, that was bothering me. FTFY

(You'd forgotten the corners.)
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

Pigs don't eat grass. I just put a bunch of them in a room and wait for a couple years, and a self sufficient meat industry is born.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:46 am »

i'm not sure they have for a long time.

most poultry are ridiculously good. turkeys, in particular, are rather ridiculous. i don't think people liked dogs because they were the best source of food, i think people liked dogs because they were a great source of food *plus* they could be trained as cannon fodder.

Best food that doesn't spawn from two birds.
OP CHIHKENS

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »

I generally don't use too many grazers until I breach a cavern layer. After that, just mine out a large area anywhere underground, and they'll eat the growing cavern moss. Actually grows a lot faster than normal grass, so it can support more animals per tile.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »

Grazing animals will graze just fine underground on moss. All you need to do is dig out a room, make it muddy, dry out the water, and put all of your animals in there. May as well also put your poultry in the room along with some nest boxes.

If you have poultry you really don't need anything else. The amount of eggs they produce is absurd, particularly if you get multiple types of birds. Chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and peafowl will get you ~50 birds of each species, so ~250 birds in total. Birds seem to be able to lay a clutch of eggs per season.

If you really want to go crazy with the eggs, tame crocodiles. Both saltwater and cave varieties. They live extremely long lifespans and can lay 70 eggs at one time. The eggs are extremely valuable on top of that.

If you're making cave crocodile omelettes, each omelette will have ~280 servings. Those are some monster omlettes!  :o
Pages: 1 [2]