Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Strand to Wafers problem  (Read 2765 times)

Zim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine Strand to Wafers problem
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

I've never encountered this before, but my current fort is running into problems making wafers.

Magma Smelters set up with a cloth stockpile (ad strands only) within 10 tiles. Pile has dozens and dozens of strands. No burrows restricting things with the work areas. The smelters nearly always keep the make wafers red and unavailable.

Dwarves will pick up the bins to go pick up more strands and bring them back to the pile. Setting up make wafers in the manager yields cancelled jobs because of needing strands, although occasionally one or two jobs gets created.

If I remove the pile and make it again, *sometimes* they will make one wafer before it becomes unavailable again. If I remove the pile entirely, the dorfs will pick up the bins and move them to a regular cloth stockpile .... one with adamatine banned. If I put the ada pile back, the dorfs will go get the bins and put them in the ad pile; but still not recognize it to make wafers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:46:46 am by Zim »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Strand to Wafers problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:22:31 am »

You could try setting the stockpile to have no bins. This should stop anyone removing the strands till they're needed.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:24 am »

A big dye job could be causing interference, it has the strands reserved for dying, possibly. Make sure that there are no regular coal burning smelters operating. If you have no fuel, that might be gumming up the works.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

Is your smelter set to only take from some other stockpile?  If so, that's the problem.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Zim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:31 pm »

My smelters are not set up to take from particular piles, and it occurs on all smeltes. I have no non-magma smelters (I'm on a volcano).

It's odd, sometimes using the manager works and sometimes it fails. One job in the stack will cancel for no thread while another will go ahead.

Now that  I think about it, you may be on to something with the bins. With the new pickup system, I wonder if it is failing when a bin holding threads is queued to wander over to a craftshop to pick up thread. I'll test that.

Gah, the new bin-carrying system makes many things day far longer and use more dwarfhours of labor than not. I watched a dwarf spend an eternity carrying a nearly full armor bin at a snails pace in order to pick up a single discarded boot.

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

People have been reporting similar behavior with Farming plants, where a dwarf will wander off with the barrel of seeds to gather a single seed... and in the meantime none of the farmers can plant anything because the barrel of seeds is inaccessible while the other dwarf is carrying it! Definitely try the "no bin" stockpile and see if that fixes your issue.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:41:08 am »

I ran into this too. Definitely no bin stockpile is a solution, and it's worth it to set up stockpile orders so the metal thread pile only gives to the smelters, NOT a weaver or dyer. Auto loom can be a pain in the lower body sometimes.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Zim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »

No bins was the solution.