Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden Sky Stories (Upcoming Tabletop RPG)  (Read 2653 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golden Sky Stories (Upcoming Tabletop RPG)
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:41:54 pm »

Golden Sky Stories

This thread is about the upcoming translation of a tabletop RPG from Japan known as Yuuyake Koyake, or Golden Sky Stories, as the translation names it. The main overview of the project can be viewed at the translator's site, here.

GGS
was created in response to the growing number of tabletop RPGs that often put the players in power-hungry and violent positions. The basis of the RPG is one of the most interesting parts..players play as shapeshifting animals known as henge (pronounce 'hen-gay'), they are capable of changing from animals into a human form. Their goal is to help solve the problems of the people in the small town that they live in, with the help of some of their magical animal powers.

(The following information I found from searching online, and may be a bit off.)
The game also lacks any dice or randomizer, and instead focuses on resource allocation instead. The game is separated into scenes. At the beginning of each scene, each character gains Wonder and Feelings based on their 'Connections' to the other characters within the scene. When attempting an action, the difficulty is compared to one of the statistics of the character, and the character must spend a number of feelings to boost their stat enough to complete the action. Wonder is used to use special henge powers (the fox, for example, is able to fly slowly though the air.) Players are awarded dreams by the GM and other players for doing cute/awesome/whatever things, which are used to strengthen connections between scenes.

Personally, I can't wait for the translation to be released. The translating and editing of the book is complete, and there is just some finishing stuff to do before it is ready for the public. There will be a Kickstarter project to fund the first print of books, which will also have awards such a translated copy of 'Maid RPG' by the same author as GGS. The Kickstarter is supposed to be up 'soon'..the magazine 'Otaku USA' says that the game is due to be released in Spring 2012, but plans do change, and I am not quite sure how long that copy has been out for.

Another illustration from the official Japanese page of the game: http://www.sunsetgames.co.jp/rpg/youyake/kemomimi01_600.jpg
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:47:30 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Sky Stories (Upcoming Tabletop RPG)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »

Or you could play GoldenclawJadeclaw and fight stuff. Whatever floats your boat.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:59:12 pm by BigD145 »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »

Or you could play Goldenclaw and fight stuff. Whatever floats your boat.

A quick Google search came up with nothing, but it doesn't sound very relative to the topic at all...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »

My mistake. That should actually be Jadeclaw. Goldenclaw never got made.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »

Ah, that makes more sense then. However, after checking that game out, it appears that the two have very little in common. GGS is a very light-hearted and casual game, while this Jadeclaw appears to be a full-on, quite complicated (even for an RPG, from what I've read) RPG. The similarity dies at the characters of both being anthromorphic.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:02 pm »

A game play demo and set release date have been put up!
http://starlinepublishing.com/golden-sky-stories-tabletop-day-2013-demo/

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:24 pm »

I was made aware of this via Tenra Bansho Zero and it looks interesting to me but not quite as much as TBZ (which is coming in limited HC for me on the boat from China at the moment).

I might get this too though, depending on price and possible interest among my player base.  (I'm not sure they'd be into this)  But hey if the price is right I'd get it (aka more maid RPG price than Tenra Bansho Zero price).

However, the one I REALLY want is Ryutama, given that that setting is pretty much fantasy tabletop Oregon Trail.  Apparently the TBZ guy is gonna work on it when TBZ is done. 

http://www.j-rpg.com/ryuutama/
(Page confirming translation below)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/tenra-bansho-zero-an-art-and-culture-rich-rpg-from/posts/307610
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled