Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal bonding  (Read 1471 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Animal bonding
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:06:42 pm »

I notice that once a animal that has bonded to a trainer dies, it get's buried. It does not get named. So now I've got a coffin with the remains of a stray bobcat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal bonding
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »

I think this can happen to any pet if you do not disable the "allow pets" option when designating a burial receptacle for taking bodies.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:01:15 am »

Not true. Normally, stray animals aren't buried. Only adopted pets get a proper burial.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:54 am »

Trainers will also get upset when bonded animals die, and if they are allowed to rot without being buried.  It can make having a major industry revolving around catching and training wild animals tricky.  It's especially fun if you tame a large number of animals with really short lifespans, like giant thrips.

One way around it is to put the bonded animals in cages and sell them to a caravan.  You can still trade bonded animals, and the trainer doesn't get upset at this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:51 am »

Trainers will also get upset when bonded animals die, and if they are allowed to rot without being buried.  It can make having a major industry revolving around catching and training wild animals tricky.  It's especially fun if you tame a large number of animals with really short lifespans, like giant thrips.

One way around it is to put the bonded animals in cages and sell them to a caravan.  You can still trade bonded animals, and the trainer doesn't get upset at this.

Also note that this is true for trained animals that are butchered, so take my advice and don't train two dozen naked mole dogs, get sick of them being utterly useless for anything, and order them all butchered because you'll likely get more butchery than you bargained for.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:33:10 am »

Also note that this is true for trained animals that are butchered, so take my advice and don't train two dozen naked mole dogs, get sick of them being utterly useless for anything, and order them all butchered because you'll likely get more butchery than you bargained for.

oh yes.... yes... this is cool.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku