Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone have any ideas how elves survive worldgen?  (Read 5266 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any ideas how elves survive worldgen?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

By being badass. Wooden weapons, no traps, living aboveground? Nothing to do but train, and train, and train.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:46 pm »

I evision toady's elves this way:

1) they don't kill animals for food, but will reat carrion. (Eg, wolves rush that deer, eat all the good parts, and elves take care of the rest.) Eating of carrion extends to sapient flesh as well.

2) they are masters of horticulture and create trade goods and houses through pleaching.

(See image)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3) they live primarily on vegetable matter.

4) they don't use soap, because soap is made from fat/oil (to precious in a vegetarian dominated diet to use for soap), and wood ashes.(heresey!) As such, they have "nasty hippy smell" and bathe in lakes and streams without any cleansing products to keep the grime under control.

5) they don't use metal or stone tools, only wood, made through pleaching and non-lethal harvesting techniques.

6) because of the lack of animal proteins in their diet, their (overwhelming) B.O. lacks several noteworthy characteristics that make herbivores panic. The elves thinnk that it is because they are at peace with nature. The real reason is that they don't smell like carnivores.

7) elves practice ritualistic avoidance of dangerous creatures, and treat savage maulings with the rationalization of "I deserved it for violating his territorial space."  Young elves learn from a young age that aimals don't attack you without probable cause, of which proximity is such a cause in some circumstances. See point above.

8) elves have a superiority complex, that is re-enforced by their suffering.  They think that their suffering these self-imposed handicaps makes them superior, and use a twisted psychological rebus (see points above) to ascribe incorrect but mentally pleasing (to them) significance to benign natural phenomena to reinforce this worldview.

9), they employ ostracism to any and all amongst them who deviate from the group delusion.

10) living this way for centuries has given them a very high disease resistance, through slective natural pressure.

11) elves practice "magical thinking", (see several points above), and as such ascribe power to ritualistic practices, and also to the practices of other races. This is why they react with such hostility to the alternative worldviews of other races. (Tree quotas, horror at the sight of blood, leather, bone, etc.)

12) elves survive in their horrible "natural" (cough) state through a combination of "immortality", and high fecundity. This counterbalances the naturally high mortality rate from disease, animal maulings, starvation, etc.

So, to properly play toady's elves, you need to "naturally" promote the growth of berry bushes (done with selective harvesting techniques that cause wild animals to forage farther, depositing berry plant seeds in animal poop farther than they would normally travel, but not so heavy that the animals migrate away completely), have a high child birth rate, have a high child mortality rate, lots of eating of starvation victims, and complex, ritualistic horticulture concerning tree species.  Elves should always flee from "dangerous" wild animals, but not in a "hunt" inducing manner. (Flee by walking away slowly.) Elves should exhibit no hostile intent to herbivorous animals, and not touch or bother them in any way.  Elves should ostracise members of their own social group for aberrant behaviors with unrelenting and unforgiving intensity.

There are no industries outside of pleached woodcraft, plant fiber textiles, and foraged berry picking. Elves spend all their time talking, singing, playing among the trees, and cranking out babies they can't feed, so they can eat them later.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:49:42 pm by wierd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »

1) They don't die of old age.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:45:22 pm »

........I am this close from changing my avatar to a elf. Weird make them sound god.

Please, someone make something about kobolds here before I go elf.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »

Well I'm not going to do it. I hate Kobolds more >:D

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »

Elves spend all their time talking, singing, playing among the trees, and cranking out babies they can't feed, so they can eat them later.

Hahaha, made my freaking day!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »

I envision Toady's kobolds this way:

1) They eat everything they can find.

2) They find food in the homes of hard-working, productive members of society who work to feed their families. Or in elf villages.

3) They are not evolved enough to build or to communicate with other species. They just learned how to make primitive weapons. They live in natural caves.

4) They are small and weak. They look a bit like a cross between a reptile-man and a dog. They lay eggs. Kobolds are quick, but have a soft skin and not much fur. They don't know how to make armor.

5) They are kleptomaniacs. They like shiny things. They like complex things. They are attracted by objects that look strange to them because they don't know how to produce them - which is basically everything except stones and sticks.

6) They are capable of hunting, but almost always fail against night creatures, civilized species or big animals.

7) Because kobolds have no understanding of ownership, trading or diplomacy, they anger every civilization by stealing from them and using the stolen items against their owners if they understand how to use them. Mostly kobolds just like hoarding stuff, pretending that they have wealth and power.

8) Because nobody likes freeloaders, kobolds are commonly regarded as a nuisance, but because they are pathetically weak and underdeveloped, nobody thinks of them as real enemies. They are hated by everyone, but they don't pose a real threat.

In conclusion: kobolds are an underdeveloped species in a world of many power-hungry peoples. They think that they are dangerous, but nobody takes them seriously, barely armed and unorganized as they are. That's why they try to get attention by stealing, which only results in more hatred.
Alone against everybody, annoying but not important: kobolds.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 06:05:45 pm »

That makes them sound so adorable. Im tempted to go against myself and slaughter a cave of them now.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:37 pm »

Wierd, you forgot one major facet:
1) they don't kill animals for food, but will eat carrion.
Elves make friends with many many types of trainable animals, including highly efficient predators.
Oh look! Carrion!

I suppose it's worth mentioning that (seemingly) every time I generate a new world, find a dwarven civilization with a cool name, and look up that civ's history in Legends mode, I see that its fairly-recent history involves getting its collective dwarven ass kicked by the elves, again and again and again and again and again. And then signing a peace treaty with them. *sigh*
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:13 pm »

Wierd, you forgot one major facet:
1) they don't kill animals for food, but will eat carrion.
Elves make friends with many many types of trainable animals, including highly efficient predators.
Oh look! Carrion!

I suppose it's worth mentioning that (seemingly) every time I generate a new world, find a dwarven civilization with a cool name, and look up that civ's history in Legends mode, I see that its fairly-recent history involves getting its collective dwarven ass kicked by the elves, again and again and again and again and again. And then signing a peace treaty with them. *sigh*

They are the precursors to the "Arrogant Ones'... after all...
I voted for BANANA!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »

Tends do be a result of Dwarves keeping to the mountains, and as a result, not growing largely.

1. Make mountains larger in world gen
2. Allow Dwarves to build cities in every biome
3. Deeply regret your decision
Pages: 1 [2]