Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Cavern Flora...  (Read 1144 times)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Odd Cavern Flora...
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:50 pm »

So I just genned a custom world.... and upon breaching all three caverns all the trees I have found are bloodthorns... and there isn't a single shred of cavern moss or grass-analog in sight. I'm absolutely certain there is none, because even with all the caverns breached there hasn't been a shred of growth in my shallow underground pastures. The world gen used caverns limited to 50 on the water scale, but the underground is absolutely inundated in mud.

Anyone know why there isn't any flora??

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Cavern Flora...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »

Not sure, although I have a whole forest of bloodthorns on layer 3 and I still have moss filling my fort.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:05:29 am »

Upload the save, maybe? Report this in the bugtracker? It might have been reported and seen before, but I'm not a very active Bay dweller.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:21:15 am »

I just answered this same question in another thread not five minutes ago:
It happens rarely.

All of the underground plants except for blood thorns occur only in wet biomes. Although they're not usually apparent, there are biomes underground (they aren't in the same places surface biomes are, either). If there is no water anywhere in a particular underground biome, that biome is dry, so no plants except for blood thorns will grow in them, and since blood thorns occur only on the third layer, that means that a dry biome for the first 2 layers will be completely barren. I don't recall whether there's different biomes for each layer or not, so digging to the other 2 caverns may bear fruit.

If you change the world gen settings so that the minimum water is higher than 0, such things will be even less common than usual and perhaps impossible.
I take it you mean you set the maximum water to 50; if you didn't also increase the minimum water, that would make waterless biomes more common, thus increasing the chances of this phenomenon occurring.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!