Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megaproject: Fondled Mine  (Read 3423 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Fondled Mine
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »

Did he just dig what we see into the soil layer, preserving the original grass?

Water level and tree level are all below, so I doubt it unless there was an entire terraforming project involved that he neglected to mention as well.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:33 am »

I can't quite remember for sure, but in .31 I remember that mudded tiles could become "mud tiles" (not muddy, I mean "mud") after a spore tree grew on it.

I vaguely recall having sandy loam tiles appear where "muddy orthoclase floor" was previously. The tile had a "pile of silty loam" on it when the tree grew.

The tree destroys engravings and smoothing, but seemed to also destroy the material, making the tile be of the type of substrate the tree grew on.

Admittedly, I was pretty sleepy when I saw it.  I remembered stories of trees destroying muddied ramps and staircases, so I didn't think much of it.

Now I want to do an experiment to see if I can repeate the observation. I could have just been having sleep deprived hallucenations. :D

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:33 am »

There was a bug I exploited in the early 31.xx that created soil on top of cast obsidian if you built and then deconstructed stairs/floors/other constructions, but it was inconsistent and unpredictable.
At last, she is done.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:12 am »

I can't quite remember for sure, but in .31 I remember that mudded tiles could become "mud tiles" (not muddy, I mean "mud") after a spore tree grew on it.

I vaguely recall having sandy loam tiles appear where "muddy orthoclase floor" was previously. The tile had a "pile of silty loam" on it when the tree grew.

The tree destroys engravings and smoothing, but seemed to also destroy the material, making the tile be of the type of substrate the tree grew on.

Admittedly, I was pretty sleepy when I saw it.  I remembered stories of trees destroying muddied ramps and staircases, so I didn't think much of it.

Now I want to do an experiment to see if I can repeate the observation. I could have just been having sleep deprived hallucenations. :D
i confirm this, I used the effect to create underground pastures in place of narrow maze-like caverns. After a tree is removed from muddied stone floor, it's terraformed to soil. Maybe shrubs too, or maybe shrubs have to die for that. Makes sense for me, actually.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:50:28 am »

You calling this a megaproject?

I want magmafalls coming from the rooftops, stat.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:53 am »

I'm most curious about how you got grass everywhere.
I was wondering the same thing as I looked at it... Pump stacks for each building, as they're separate heights, seems a bit much... But not impossible.

Absolutely gorgeous in the new Overseer screenshot. I'd personally like to see more perspectives using that visualizer, as opposed to Stonesense.
Also, seconded.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:20 am »

I made obsidian a soil so I could paint it in with DFliquids. You then construct floors over it and remove them. After you remove floors from soil the soil reverts to the native biome and thus you get grass. I discovered this when I was working on winterfell a while back. You can do the same thing with cast obsidian (still has to be soil though) but I was testing my mod out that I've developed specifically for megaprojects. Trees will not grow above the top most ground level so thats a no go.

This took me roughly 40 hours real time to complete. Things go pretty fast when you are at 200 fps up through year 6, 100 up through year 8, and then a constant 50 there on out. I'm still working on the mod, I want to get rid of more fps drain before I release it.

It was all constructed, except for the soil which was painted on. Again if I wasn't testing the mod out I would have done it with pump stacks but I really wanted to test the longevity of the fps while just building.

Each building has its own industry and all dwarves are confined to a single burrow which is more or less one building. Each of those buildings can hold 100-200 dwarves, it varies wildly because of height differences. I just un capped children and raised the pop cap to 1000 to really push the mod before I make fixes.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531
Pages: 1 [2]