Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play the Baldur's Gate Trilogy!!  (Read 3760 times)

Ezzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play the Baldur's Gate Trilogy!!
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

So I'm going to be playing through the entire Baldur's Gate series (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Throne of Bhaal) using the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod, which ports BG1 to the BG2 engine, and makes it all one big game instead of two smaller games and an expansion, and I thought I might as well do a Let's Play of it. I WON'T be playing Tales of the Sword Coast (the expansion to the first game) simply because it doesn't follow the story-line of the main PC of the other three.

Baldur's Gate (and it's sequels) are a series of games, made by BioWare, using a modified version of AD&D's ruleset to determine combat and stats and such. The player takes control of the orphaned protagonist as s/he travels, unveils a few mysteries about her/himself, and makes lifetime bonds with yadda yadda yadda. Basically, it's a fantasy RPG that's kind of old. It's based on a (now old) version of D&D. You kill monsters and follow a pretty cool goddamn fantastic storyline.

As of posting, only the first episode is made and uploaded, and I'll be getting the next episode recorded later today, once things in the house quiet down.

Things to keep in mind, should you want to watch:
-I'm playing on the normal difficulty.
-My computer is kinda crappy, so it might lag sometimes.
-Each episode will be AROUND 30 minutes.
-The first episode is fairly dull, because I'm just going through basic prologue stuff.
-I talk fast in the first episode. I'll try to slow down for later episodes. Most of the places where it's unintelligible I've stuck up some annotations with the words in them.
--So watch it with annotations on if you missed something.
-Finally: I am recording just about everything. There is very little I will do off-camera, because the game is pretty story driven, and very rarely is there much downtime where I'm doing absolutely nothing.
-Finally finally: I'm not good at editing video, so I just didn't. I pretty much record straight through, then upload it as-is, with a little bit of YouTube tricks to brighten it up and clear up the picture. Because of that, you might want to wait a little while after I upload a new video to watch it.

TL;DR I'm playing the Baldur's Gate series, the first episode is kinda boring but the rest should be better, I suck at editing so the videos aren't edited (for now), you should watch it :D

This video will, of course, have spoilers, violence, swearing, etc.
So without further ado, here's the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9lWGZmUps
This one mostly has me explaining a few basics of Baldur's Gate, explaining the Trilogy Mod, creating my character, and playing through most of the prologue.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:14:17 pm by Ezzran »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play the Baldur's Gate Trilogy!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

Pretty cool story line? PRETTY COOL?! It's more than just, pretty cool! It's one of the most entertaining story lines in a game that I have had the pleasure to experience! It's goddamn fantastic to say the least!

Pretty cool he says... *grumble grumble*

Still, good luck with getting this monster of an undertaking recorded properly. There's a shitton of stuff to record if you just stick with the main storyline, and that greatly increases if you try doing the side quests.

Ezzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:14:43 pm »

Fixed it! ^.^

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:34 pm »

A few comments/questions:
-How often are you planning on updating?
-Are you using any mods?
-You don't need to read out every text option. We can read it too, and if you just spend a few seconds with each text wall up, then we can pause and read in our own time.
-During the character creation section, you're mixing up the 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules a lot. For example, you start talking about the 3rd edition system of attribute modifiers, but BG doesn't use that. The effects of attribute scores is listed in tables in the back of the manual (if you don't have a paper copy, then you can find a pdf in your install directory)
-How much have you played the game before? Do you know where the major treasures/monsters/quests are located?

Ezzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:31 am »

A few comments/questions:
-How often are you planning on updating?
Whenever I can get a bit of quiet and my computer to not be slow as hell (I have to do a bit of work on it)
-Are you using any mods?
I'm using the Baldur's Gate Trilogy Mod, which ports BG1 into the BG2 engine, then merges the two into one huge-tastic game.
-You don't need to read out every text option. We can read it too, and if you just spend a few seconds with each text wall up, then we can pause and read in our own time.
I don't read out every text option. Just a few at the beginning, and some of the really plot important ones. Others I summarize a bit. Also, when I went through and watched the video on youtube to see how it came out, some of the text is blurred out because of the video's low quality.
-During the character creation section, you're mixing up the 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules a lot. For example, you start talking about the 3rd edition system of attribute modifiers, but BG doesn't use that. The effects of attribute scores is listed in tables in the back of the manual (if you don't have a paper copy, then you can find a pdf in your install directory)
Whoops! My bad!
-How much have you played the game before? Do you know where the major treasures/monsters/quests are located?
I've played a bit of it, but I don't know all of it. I do know up through the mines of Nashkel and a bit of the drama in Baldur's Gate itself fairly well, but not much else.
My responses are in bold ^.^

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

I'm using the Baldur's Gate Trilogy Mod, which ports BG1 into the BG2 engine, then merges the two into one huge-tastic game.
Any other mods? Not even fixpacks/tweakpacks?

Ezzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

Any other mods? Not even fixpacks/tweakpacks?

None. Kinda wanted to play the game as-is, but the original Baldur's Gate 1 engine bugs me a bit xD

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:10:45 pm »

Fixpack would still be a fairly safe bet. It really doesn't do anything other than fix a load of bugs, some of which are game endingly nasty. Tweakpack is more debatable though. I opted to go vanilla for my first BG2 playthrough, though afterwards I would have very much preferred some of the more user friendly additions from the tweakpack.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »

Fixpack would still be a fairly safe bet. It really doesn't do anything other than fix a load of bugs, some of which are game endingly nasty. Tweakpack is more debatable though. I opted to go vanilla for my first BG2 playthrough, though afterwards I would have very much preferred some of the more user friendly additions from the tweakpack.
I would concur. As wonderful a game as BG is, it's still over a decade old, and that can show at times. It's an enjoyable game, but that's despite the engine rather than because of it. With some of the things that the fixpacks/tweakpacks add, such as higher stacking limits, you're only improving your playing experience.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »

No small task this. Last time I played through BGII it ate up my whole christmas break. But hey, they are awesome games so you'll get through it. Specially considering the lack of ANY releases lately. :)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 06:23:14 am »

The most important thing for Ezzran (for everyone?) would be to not take any pressures from the size of the task. I'm currently reading an ongoing LP that was started in late -08. While I don't advocate frequent hiatuses, you don't have to rush it either.

Ezzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:16:35 am »

Sorry about the lack of updates :/ My computer is kinda crap, so running the recording software and the game at the same time is a bit laggy as it is, and right now it's even worse for some reason. I'm working on cleaning it out and getting everything working a bit better before I try and record another video. Don't want you guys only being able to see every 4th frame :P