Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is it possible to have no mayor, no nobles or anything like that?  (Read 1432 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

basically, i want to take a little break from the annoyance of nobles, and make a simple fort where noone demands anything made, noone needs any special quarters..
i just want to build and dig, no distractions.

i just tried to have the pop cap at 40, migrants ignored this, and i soon ended with a mayor anyway

anyone have any other ideas?

edit:
currently checking to see if making the world with civ pop cap 0 will end up with no migrants ever
that would leave me a little understaffed though..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:01:32 pm by enizer »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to have no mayor, no nobles or anything like that?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:57 pm »

Why would you want to have less Fun?  It boggles the mind.

You could certainly just mod the raw files.  Look for the entity_standard file or something like that, and find the mountain entity (dwarf civilization), then just remove any mention of any nobles you see.

For an even quicker fix, just add in the tag [NOEMOTION] to creatures_standard.txt under dwarves, and even though they demand stuff, they shouldn't get upset if you don't give them those demands.

For basic building and digging without actually playing the game, you could go further and add in [NO_DRINK] [NO_EAT] [NO_SLEEP] and then start with 7 dwarves that are all 5 points in mining and masonry each (maybe a mechanic too).  I often do this for at least one wave, to dig out the big fancy great halls and things that I want without having to worry about ugly temporary housing that marrs the fort, then I abandon and bring in the real dwarves and add back in eating and sleeping, etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:11 pm »

You could change the population requirement in entity_default.txt for a mayor to be 500 instead of 50, but then you might not get a manager or a chief medical dwarf.  I find those kind of handy to have.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »

You can appoint these right from the start.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »

edit:
currently checking to see if making the world with civ pop cap 0 will end up with no migrants ever
that would leave me a little understaffed though..

You will still get the first two waves, if you set it to zero.  Which will generally give you ~20 dwarves total.  However, be aware that if some of them die, they will NOT ever be replaced with new migrants.

You will still be able to grow your population with babies, though, provided you did not also set the baby cap to zero.  Babies ignore the population cap.  If this is your long term strategy, I suggest making the age at which dwarves become adults something a lot mroe reasonable than 12 years (maybe like 4 years).
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »

yeah, i had a few really annoying forts in a row, where all demands were useless, hard to make, things.. usually ending up with all my most useful dwarves being criminals, and a few skillless nobles doing nothing but making demands

i just reached the point where i executed 5 mayors in one season, and uh, yeah.. i need to relax a bit i think... :P

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »

huh, good idea there, i didnt think i could raise the mayor limit to something that just wont happen

yeah, i can appoint the manager and those positions, i mostly just want the damned mayor out of the picture

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:43 pm »

give the mayor dwarf a custom job.  He'll still do mayor stuff like conduct meetings and work as normal.  If you ignore his mandates, he'll get a minor bad thought, but without a captain of the guard but nothing else bad will happen.  You'll still probably want to designate a record keeper and a manager, but they don't make demands.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:43:17 pm »

My current mega project (with a not so mega pop) has this happening automatically.

Of course, dwarves are nearly extinct from turning savagery up to max, reducing elevations, reducing number of cavern layers, and a few other things......

This is one of the harder fortresses I have endured, if only due to the "every dwarf is sacred!" Rule, coupled with horrible labor shortages.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »

Open up entity_default.txt and scroll down until you see the positions on the dwarven entity. Then remove any line that looks like [DEMAND_MAX:X], [MANDATE_MAX:X] or [REQUIRES_XX:X]. If you remove all of those then your nobles should still exist, allowing you to still have useful things like doctors, bookkeepers, and managers, but not have to deal with any demands, mandates, or room requirements. I'm fairly certain that you will need to regenerate your world after these changes, if only to fix the nobles you have currently in your fortress.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »

Put the pop cap at thirty and lower the child cap. Migrants might push it up to 36 or so but the mayor-treshold probably won't be reached.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)