Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, what's your most unexpected tantrum spiral?  (Read 6975 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, what's your most unexpected tantrum spiral?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:46:50 am »

Child claims a workshop next to a hospital. Asks for shells. Goes beserk. 230 dwarves in Winter, 47 dwarves in spring.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:33 am »

Carefully clear a seige, no losses (trapspam:p). Unlock my fort, fisherdwarf runs out, killed by an ambushing laser. All 180 go from ecstatic to miserable.

Apparently he was the most popular dwarf in the fort.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 10:53:29 am »

Ive been playing the game for too damn long, I mean back when the game was 2d nearly every fort I had ended in a horrible miserable tantrum spiral where I just sat there not knowing what to do while a civil war went down in my fort. After a while though I learned all the tricks of how to control dwarves and now the only people who die in a fort are those who no one knows anyways, hell no one knows anyone in my fort except for the starting 7 so the only "tantrum spirals" I have anymore is when I need to control unhappiness in a family , so its more of a marriage counselor kind of deal than a real civil war like in the old days.

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:16 am »

Pretty successful 100 dwarf fort. I get an ambush and a lone woodcutter, trapped outside, is killed.

One dwarf goes beserk, murders a couple of random crundles and gets owned by my militia. Next thing I know 6 dwarves are insane and 4 are beserk. In the end i released the mosquito FB id been saving, it got owned by a random goblin spearman.
The last dwarf died alone in a pool of his and his friends blood, surrounded by multilated corpses, haunted by 3 ghosts, slowly bleeding to death with 2 broken legs as the sounds of trolls smashing up the upper levels of the fort resounded

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »

Reclaimed fort. Third migrant wave I get a bunch of dwarves and several of them instantly berserk. How the hell does that even happen. half of the rest are miserable.

Its probably not the migrants.  If you had any berserking dwarves before you abandoned last time, they will still be on the map, hiding in ambush.  So what likely happened is that when the new migrants came for the first time, they showed up at the edge of the map and stumbled across your hidden berserkers left over from before.
Suppose that's possible then, I just assumed that something like the migrants picked them up during the year that passes between fortress reclaiming since they showed as being in the same wave as the migrants.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

A few forts ago, I had a nice volcano embark going.  50 dwarves, things looked good.

Then the magma crabs machine gunned my furnace operators, and the whole place suddenly resembled bedlam assylum.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 12:11:55 am »

Dwarves burrow into a safe room while a goblin army ravages the surface. The tulmit settles down, the military is dying, holding off by the stairs, giving the chance for the lever that successfully sealed the safe room to be pulled. 60 or so dwarves huddling over emergency booze and rations. Then within the 10x10 burrow a legendary miner goes berserk.  Total insanity
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 12:21:13 am »

Urist McMayor was abhorred to discover his personal dining hall only had one coffer installed.

20☼ for a new coffer.
The fortress would pay in blood.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 12:29:25 am »

I forgot to schedule time off for newly-drafted soldiers... with predictable results.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 01:05:37 am »

One elf on eagleback got inside the fort during a siege (the rest of the place of  sealed off and safe).  It killed ONE civilian dwarf before the militia hacked him and his bird friend to pieces. 

150 of the 225-odd population then proceed to kill eachother as a result. 

The general mood was average, there weren't any tantrums beforehand, but after Urist McUnlucky died?  Chaos.  Took a decade to bury all the corpses.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 03:50:54 am »

I have the worst luck...100 dwarves, all ecstatic +300. Single dwarf died to goblin ambush and the entire fortress went to 0 happiness and started going berserk. One of these days I'll actually get a  decent fortress going =( Was going perfect too, I was literally building the lever to close me off from the outside world when the fisherdwarf went up and died to the ambush, maybe a minute was all I needed. So depressing...
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »

Got two.

1. Newly walled off fort, marksdwarves on the walls picking off goblin pikemen during a siege. Migrants then choose exactly the wrong time and map edge to arrive on and are brutally murdered by a hail of -copper bolts- from another squad of the green buggers. No big deal, I say, they didn't exactly have time to make friends. I'll bury'em after I clean up this lot. After miscalculating the number of coffins I needed to place, a ghost appears and gives one of my starting 7 a lethal heart attack, which starts off the festivities: 140ish short alcoholics beating the snot out of each other.

2. Migrant wave arrives with a miserable dwarf "present" for me. Cue unfortunate death of much-loved fortress member, family angst, and short alcoholics beating the snot out of each other.
Pages: 1 [2]