Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speardwarves?  (Read 5489 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Speardwarves?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:33 am »

If I only had a very limited amount of adamantine then I'd probably save it for shortswords myself

I prefer axes, because dwarves wield axes.

Spears are not only good at undead, they are also good at fighting hydras. Although I have yet to see a hydra in fort mode.

Dont spend any adamantine on shields though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speardwarves?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:14 am »

I like speardwarves as gate guards, because I picture them in my head stood to attention in little sentry boxes (sadly, dwarves have nowhere near this level of discipline) and spears make short work of unarmoured thief types.  For this secondary military role I wouldn't waste bluemetal - steel if it's in good supply, otherwise bronze, copper or silver will do fine - all it usually has to do is go through a troll fur cloak and some green skin.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 [2]