Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 1704 times)

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire
« on: April 17, 2012, 03:25:05 pm »

I have long felt the deliberate utilization of fire is something that has been sorely missing from the game.
Fire should be necessary for all advanced cooking and brewing, it should have its use as source of light and warmth, garbage disposal method and no dwarven communal hall is truly imaginable without a roaring fireplace.
Now, all that said, for obvious reasons having to do with development, programing, current behavior of materials etc. this hasn't been addressed so far which is quite understandable. But - with the new tweak on evil regions and undeath - I feel the introduction of fire in some rudimentary form has become necessary, if only for the purpose of zombie removal.

I propose a fireplace zone - or perhaps a building probably constructed out of stone blocks or bricks - which could be activated (kept alight with wood or charcoal by dwarves with the "firekeeper" labor turned on) or deactivated and in which "burn" designated items could be thrown. It should require an open aboveground space directly above it, so it would either have to be built outside or under a purposefully designed chimney (grate permissible). This would get rid of all the flammable garbage + bits that just won't stay dead, and would produce useful ash at the same time.

Further down the development line, other benefits could be added, such as giving dwarves happy thoughts, providing light and warmth etc. Pyres could serve as optional burial methods (some dwarves/soldiers fallen in combat/professions/religions demanding them, perhaps?) etc. etc. etc.

Your thoughts on this?

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:33:46 pm »

1. I hate to be a Footkerchief, but things like this have been suggested many times.

2. I support all these and those suggestions.
Perhaps if it doesn't have open air it spews smoke like rotting corpses spew miasma?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »

1. It has been, but this time I specifically bring it back as a method of undead removal, given the new challenges of the evil regions. Cremation has also been used in this manner historically - to prevent the dead from "coming back."

2. Yeah, sounds about right.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »

Someone in the modding forum made a crematorium that basically does this. 

Not the source of light and warmth part, obviously, but it's a reaction that eliminates corpses and disposable trash items.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:02:42 am »

It would obviously require some fine-tuning in general fire behaviour and how the dwarves react to it. However, since fire is already in the game, I don't think it would require a lot of work to allow setting things to fire arbitrarily. The system right now, where you have to either use magma or somehow utilize a creature capable of creating heat, is a bit clumsy. I think it would also add a lot of playing value, as fire is just awesome and can be used to dispose of your enemies in a lot of interesting ways.

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »

I think buildings shouldn't be assosiated with fire. Makes for alot of micro-management. How about just the ability to tell your dwarfs to light a tile on fire. This would make crematoriums still possible but also adding alot more cool things into the game. Also gives wood another use in forts besides beds. Woodcutters goes out. Cuts wood. Dies. Another dorf builds him a wooden coffin. Puts him inside. Burns it. Procedure restarts. DWARF LOGIC.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »

only if i can use wooden items for fuel as well instead of logs only.  It would be fine if items made of wood burn less well or provide less fuel than a log, but if we're going to have fires we should be able to burn elf import items as fuel.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »

only if i can use wooden items for fuel as well instead of logs only.  It would be fine if items made of wood burn less well or provide less fuel than a log, but if we're going to have fires we should be able to burn elf import items as fuel.
And elves, obviously.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.