Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The FPS downward spiral  (Read 3639 times)

lordlp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The FPS downward spiral
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:26:04 am »

Curous if anyone has managed on achieving 100fps at 200 dwarves. I've followed every guide I could find on fps reduction but no matter what I do, as soon as I get a standing army (armies) and fully armor/equip them with steel, my fps is hanging at about 30. It's pretty pointless at that point to continue playing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The FPS downward spiral
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:52:07 am »

What else happens around the time you get an army?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:52 am »

Just because the graphics consist of exploded keyboard and vomited-up punctuation doesn't mean the game isn't a total CPU-slave-driving-beast.

Your options are limited.  You can:

(1) Hack anything you can think of out of the game: temperature, weather, grazing, eating, sleeping, and needing to actually mine to get steel weapons.  Don't let history happen; the game likes to let history clog up its tubes.

(2) Hack into a secret government mainframe and steal all their megahertzes while wearing skin-tight-vinyl and contorting in bullet time.  (Or upgrade your PC, whichever.)

(3)  ...that's actually about all I could think of, unless you also count "multitask by letting DF run at an abysmal framerate while you knit/watch TV/sleep."

Have there been any in-depth studies on how DF performs on really, really nice cutting-edge machines?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Rbrx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:11:08 am »

I don't know about super cutting edge, but my laptop runs my 150 dwarf, year 400, filled to the brim with worthless clothing, fortress at 100 fps, as long as I turn off temperature.

With temperature on it fluctuates between 30 and 60, depending on whether or not there's a siege.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:12:22 am »

Wow temperature really makes that much of a difference? Fuck.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:26:05 am »

Temp and pathfinding are the biggest issues, followed by contaminants and clothing.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

Temp and pathfinding are the biggest issues, followed by contaminants and clothing.

Every season i use dfhack to 'clean all', I don't consider it cheating as the only thing it helps with is my FPS. (Baths in every entrance and exit from the fortress and caverns :))

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:18 am »

Yeah, I miss burning.  But [TEMPERATURE:NO] doubles my framerate at least.

I used to "clean all" regularly, but I don't notice that big of a change.  So I've stopped.

Keeping all animals dead/caged/penned seems to help me a lot too.

lordlp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:12 pm »

The only thing that happens around when I get an army is strip mining for iron/metals. I'll give the temp a try, see if that helps things in my next fort.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

For roughly 25% more  FPS, with temperature on, you could try my mod. it adds a lot of other stuff you might or might not like, but the FPS is and will stay higher then in vanilla df. Link is in my signature.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:49 pm »

For roughly 25% more  FPS, with temperature on, you could try my mod. it adds a lot of other stuff you might or might not like, but the FPS is and will stay higher then in vanilla df. Link is in my signature.

Is it possible to just make a vanilla DF with more FPS? lol.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:54:36 am »

Yes, but it would include heavy changes to the materials and number of different items. I was actually was making a poll about this, but so far most people vote for: No, No, since it slows down the big mod (the programming on it) and Yes, but I wouldnt play it. Only 25% are for: Yes.

With a negative feedback of 75% there is a rather low chance that I will do this anytime soon.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:40:05 am »

Wonder how much money Toady One wants to make DF multicore? Even if he has to subcontract it. Maybe if he set a figure we could whip up enough interest.

I mean how many people are still running XP on a single core?

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:41:37 am »

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:13 am »

Yes, but it would include heavy changes to the materials and number of different items. I was actually was making a poll about this, but so far most people vote for: No, No, since it slows down the big mod (the programming on it) and Yes, but I wouldnt play it. Only 25% are for: Yes.

With a negative feedback of 75% there is a rather low chance that I will do this anytime soon.

I own 80% of the stocks of your life and my vote is yes, so you MUST do it before I dump you into the deadly blood chamber!