Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding sewer grates and lairs  (Read 1810 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding sewer grates and lairs
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »

1. Can you enter sewer systems through grates in any way? What exactly should I be looking for to enter the sewers?

2. I went looking for a dingo, hit the lair spot on the map and wandered around for a great deal of time. What exactly should I be looking for? Is a creature supposed to be wandering around on the surface somewhere or is there a secret entrance?

Thanks for any help!
Re: Regarding sewer grates and lairs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »

1. No. The entrance to the sewers is a down stair (>) usually in an alley between houses. If you see grates, it should be nearby.

2. Lairs are just small little caves in the side of hills. They are incredibly hard to find, as you need to look for a ramp, which are everywhere on hills.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:33 pm »

Hmmm do they ever have sewers without entrances or not really? I notice through the vaults that the sewer pipes seem to be filled with water so maybe crawling around there won't be entirely too conducive to my ability to breath anyways :(

Edit: Thank you for the info by the way!
Edit 2: That explains a lot about the lairs by the way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:53:08 pm by Viking »
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »

Yeah, sewers are a bit messed up with many of their areas unexplorable due to being completely submerged.

I also read about a possible bug with monsters that are supposed to be in them actually being in the ground beneath the sewer areas, so there's also that.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

What really sucks is when a HUGE sewer only has 1 entrance.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:22:25 am »

You can find the lair entrances pretty easily by following the directions in the upper-left of the screen. Just follow the direction it tells you to go and it will eventually stumble on the entrance. Several times I've done this and been surprised to find myself underground without warning.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:35 am »

I generally ignore sewer quests. They're usually a lot of tedious wandering only to find out the cave fish man you're supposed to kill is in the water section. And even if you do find the target, they're small, unskilled, and they've only got wooden weapons and make for a boringly easy fight.

Edit rather than new post: you can also usually find sewer entrances where they empty into rivers by swiming around the rivers in towns. Of course these usually lead to the underwater parts of sewers, but sometimes there will be groups of animal men near the exit that will see you and come out after you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:50:48 pm by Hylas »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:33 am »

The easiest way to find a Sewer Access is with the travel map, but I've found at least one town without any, not even on the outskirts, not even from the temple or keep, which sometimes have a way in. Not that it matters; any sewer I've entered by access has had nothing but skeletons and maybe some respawning randoms, but no targets. I used DFHack to clear the waterlogged tunnels and still couldn't find every quest target, though a few of them were embedded in the walls within striking reach.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »

Okay thanks guys! Its a shame sewers are so tricky :(