Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?  (Read 7437 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »

The rocket launcher in Smash TV cuts straight through hordes of enemies, which can be twenty or thirty deep in a direction. :P Also I'm 25 (almost 26) and have been playing usually about 6-8 hours a day for 22 (almost 23 :))) years, so yeah...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 07:10:02 pm »

Man I can barely play most games for more than 3 hours these days. Most fail to keep my attention.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

Well, I can't say games have made me less violent (since I'm usually rather passive, only physically lashing out in blind rage), but they haven't made me any more predisposed to violence either. In fact, I find real life violence appalling; hell, even movie violence is stretching it a bit. I will, however, chuckle in glee while I blow off a random mooks head with a shotgun in a video game. Exactly why it's like this is a mystery to me, but I figure it's fine as long as it stays like that, since I also take great care not to hurt innocent characters. (basically, I play the good guy who only kills bad guys horribly)

My mind occasionally comes up with extremely disturbing thoughts, but so far I have not acted upon any of them, and I doubt video games are to blame for them, because I still have lingering issues from back when I was bullied (one of them being that I tend to bring this up everywhere). I know I just said I'm a passive individual, but there are a few people in this world I wouldn't hesitate to savagely assault if I had to. This is because of burning hatred, not because I'm a gamer.

On a lighter note, I'm probably severely overestimating the threat I could pose to anyone, since my natural elegance is about on par with a drunken ox (minus the strength, given my lanky frame), so I'd probably injure myself before anyone else. Quite spectacularly even, I've lost count over how many times my arms have inadvertently swept something fragile off a nearby surface. That phenomenon can be attributed to vidya games, but I digress. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

Man I can barely play most games for more than 3 hours these days. Most fail to keep my attention.

Yeah, I hear you. In the last year my time with video games has been on the decline, too. I still play a lot because there's nothing else to do where I live, but not as much as I did a year or two ago.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »

Well lets reply to this one...

I generally agree that a good and violent game is good to blow off steam however a frustrating one doesent help. As to the original poster's question 'do violent games make people more prone to pacifisim?' I disagree but its not a bad thing.

Yes there will be some who play a violent game and it drives the point into them that violence is bad and they become pacafists. This is an extreme reaction though and one thing or another probably would have been the pacafistic trigger eventually.

For me its different. I am a sick mind and im not going to get better anytime soon because i am funtional. First a brief history:

school: ostricized and picked on even by many teachers.. Mostly only friends with nicer teachers and non judgemental peers, didnt fit in with anyone at all.

Games: played them ever since i was little, wasent really regulated at all, loved doom hexen and duke nukem but also some rpgs and rts'

Other: married, trouble holding jobs, bad memory problem, holds grudges.

Im a sick mind because i fantasize about violence all the time. I never indulge or cause trouble but i play it out in my mind all the time. My fantasies usually stick to the fantasical but sometimes its more realistic like being confronted by a mugger with a weapon or coming home to see a burgler has my with held hostage.

These 'realistic' scenarios should terrify or disturb me. How could i live without my wife? I love her and need her. But i still lust for those situations where i could just let go of my shining white knight skin and let the monster in me flex it's muscles and have fun.

The really scary part? Chances are not bad that one day i will run into someone who wants to hurt me, start a fight or is hurting someone else and im pretty sure i would go too far and someone would be hospitalised or worse.

My phone is about to die so i have to wrap up.

My point about myself is that games have probably desensitized me from violence in some ways, i know there are concequences but im willing to ignore personal danger to 'stop the bad guy' but my lust for fighting would probably push me too far.

If anyone is familliar with it im like a 'murder fist' a fighter who likes fighting for the sake of hurting, seeing just what im capeable of whether the situation calls for it or not.

Im not afraid to walk the streets at night, not afraid of the people who hurt me when i was younger because i'm the worst monster out there now.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »

Welp, I suppose that I'm about the opposite of anyone else. I tend to do my best to be nonviolent in my gaming (and brutally efficient and quick if I do resort to violence), and I figure that I'd have no hesitation about escalating force if the situation called for it. Of course, I'd say that that's a lot more because of my tendency to read and study classical heroes than FF7 and DF, but I'm probably the only one with a bladed knuckle in his jacket pocket.

The nonviolent bit is how I am when I game as well, though instead of brutal and quick when resorting to violence I gravitate between slow and sadistically manipulative to quickened evisceration and harsh genocide. Usually I prefer to nurture and protect whoever I am playing with in regards to my character or characters, and thinking of everyone else as just someone that is there to further my or my character(s) and their needs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]